New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brown Bess lock kit
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Not wanting to spend the money on a rifle build this year I have for a couple of years now been pondering putting together the Brown Bess lock kit that Track sells. I've always gotten along well with iron.More so than wood. I've got the means for heat,ect... Figure if I do a good job perhaps I can sell it. Anyone else ever do a lock build like this? Any advice?

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
yep . In fact i have built that exact lock
I would suggest a drill press . But you can drill by hand if your careful
Your going to need the right taps and drill bits .
Get you some high temp shellac so you can set the parts together while drilling . It will help you a lot . With alignments

You will also have to know how to anneal and temper and draw , at what ranges you need to be at for each process and different parts .
Also here is a link for you to read . While its about building the V pan Manton lock , the main process is very much the same

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com...lock/mantonlock.html

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thanks Captchee. I should have figured you would have some good words. Will look up the link. It has been awhile but used to do some work at the forge so heat treatment isn't totally new. Perhaps when I get it done I'll send it to you for evaluation.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post