New
Find
Notify
Tools

CVA Mt Rifle Drum ?
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Has anyone here ever changed out the drum on a Spanish built? I have one that just has never had reliable ignition. I have tried different nipples, even musket caps etc, nothing seems to help. thinking there may be an obstruction in the Drum.

Posts: 25 | Location: Cookson hills of Oklahoma | Registered: 22 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hiya ol'ranger b!

Some of the CVA Spanish made barrels had a drum that could not be removed first without damaging the breech plug.

So, the question is, do you have access to a drillpress? If so, drill a hole into the end of drum, check for obstruction, clean it up, thread the hole and install a clean-out screw.

A note here (if my memory is correct), the breechplug, which has a chamber, had to be removed first, then the drum could be removed. During barrel production, the drum was screwed into the barrel first. This method of production caused the threaded end of the drum to become threaded for the breechplug (the breechplug has a hole that matches up with drum). (Hope this makes some sense) The process sometimes caused metal pieces from the matchup to restrict the "flame tube" in the drum.

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yeah the plug and the drum interlock, and depending on the year of manufacture, you either booger up the drum and never do get it back as it was, OR you booger up the barrel and have to replace it. CVA says this about the procedure:

" WARNING: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD ATTEMPTS BE MADE TO REMOVE THE BOLSTER OR BREECH PLUG. THIS IS AN INTEGRAL PATENTED SYSTEM WHICH CAN ONLY BE REMOVED OR INSTALLED BY QUALIFIED FACTORY PERSONNEL. ANY FORM OF TAMPERING WILL VOID ALL WARRANTIES. "

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys now that you mention it, I recall seeing one of those BP & drums from and old CVA Kentucky rifle that some one had fired with a ball stuck about half way down the barrel, split her from stem to stern, ( was able to salvage the brass but plate )

Posts: 25 | Location: Cookson hills of Oklahoma | Registered: 22 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I've owned three and ended up leaving it well enough alone. They fired just fine; I was hoping to do a flint conversion.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of older Mt rifles, a 45 & a50 with made in USA stamped on the Barrels( I was told they were Douglas ) ? very accurate and reliable, I have a 54 that is Spanish, also very accurate with round balls, but is prone to misfires?

Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was hoping to do a flint conversion.

YEAH! I have the CVA caplock "long rifle" and I found a kit for a flint pistol at a flea market..., so I found that the locks were interchangeable. The idea then was to remove the drum, and use the flash hole liner from the pistol barrel where the drum on the rifle barrel went. Then... use the flint lock instead of the cap lock, and voila, converted to flinter!

GLAD I didn't actually try to do that before I found out how CVA "locks" in the ignition parts! Eeker

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I have 2 CVA Mountain rifles marked USA. I would like to have both rebored from .50 to .54. My understanding is that Bob Hoyt does not work on these barrels, is there someone out there who does?

Posts: 37 | Location: Vassalboro, Maine | Registered: 21 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
As a former smith I cannot figure a smith who would touch a CVA because of their own law council and insurance company.

Posts: 109 | Location: NH | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I'd venture to guess that the reason Mr. Hoyt does not work on the CVA barrels is not from the breech situation.

CVA barrels in a lot of sidelock, traditional rifles, are proofed in Spain. What folks don't know is that black powder proofing is up to the individual standards in each Proofing House, while standards for modern cartridges are universally accepted between the Proofing House in the countries that are part of the CIP agreement...Spain is one of those countries.

So the Proofing House where the barrels from Spain were proofed, reportedly "batch proofs" the barrels in many cases, including for CVA. Which means, unlike the Italians, the Germans, or the British, the Spaniards choose several barrels from a group, at random, and test. IF all the selected barrels pass, then the entire group of barrels is proof-marked. Eeker

So Mr. Hoyt may not wish to alter a barrel that might not actually have been individually tested, and thus perhaps accept some responsibility for it if it fails, and coupled with that one of the CVA inline models had a proofing problem and several of their rifles exploded. That has since been corrected, but "Once bitten;twice shy" and I suspect Mr. Hoyt doesn't want to invite the risk.

LD

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
TC barrels are not proofed neither are GM barrels proofed so kind of a makes that seems moot.

Lawyer,law crap, when a manufacture say's do not touch our breech it means when you do it is not going to get insured by your insurance company does it not.

Can't blame Hoyt for not touching them.

Posts: 109 | Location: NH | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I have a mtn rifle (usa) and a frontier rifle (spain). Neither rifle was very reliable when I put the kits together 40 years ago. If you look at the current Dixie catalog pg 558 it talks about "venting a percussion gun". It worked for both of mine. Also, on my mtn rifle, the drum must come out before the breechplug. The drum threads part way into the breech plug.

Posts: 1 | Location: illinois | Registered: 12 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post