Find
Notify
Tools

barrel marking
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted
I am in the process of refinishing a .36 cal flint lock long gun. In sanding and polishing
and getting the barrel ready for browning I found a barrel makers mark or proof mark.

This one is hard to explain but on the bottom of the barrel there is what I take to be a makers mark along with “.36 cal” the mark is two semi circles as though a circle was broken in half, one above the other. The top one has a jagged mark in the shape of an M on the bottom half and the bottom one has the opposite mark on the top as though a circle was broken in half and these two jagged edges would fit it back together.

Does this make any since to you and if it does what does it mean?

Iche Iia

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Posts: 379 | Location: Prince George, Virginia | Registered: 04 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
It means you have a Green Mountain Barrel Company barrel. Big Grin

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted Hide Post
REALLY?? That would be a pleasant surprise.

Iche Iia

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Posts: 379 | Location: Prince George, Virginia | Registered: 04 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted Hide Post
Well I'll be. I followed the link, that's the mark! ! !

Iche Iia

Factor
posted Hide Post
LOL Big Grin

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
My .40 Lancaster has a Green Mountain barrel marked like yours.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Iche Tia, I forgot to mention that your barrel should have a 1:48 twist rate for that small caliber in a barrel from Green Mountain.

LD

Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted Hide Post
Thanks LD.

Iche Iia