MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    getting rid of galvinizing on steel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

getting rid of galvinizing on steel
 Login/Join

Free Trapper
posted
got a question for you guy`s, whats the best way to get rid of galvinizeing on a piece of steel,so I can blue it.
any idea`s?

Posts: 196 | Location: kenai peninsula alaska | Registered: 09 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
firelock,
I used a file and emory cloth.
León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
I use a torch to burn it off and then wire brush it.

hootalrifleshop.org

Posts: 1399 | Location: Rolling Hills of Iowa | Registered: 26 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
If you burn it off DO NOT breath the fumes they are POISON.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
We used sulfuric acid in High School to remove the zinc from galvanized nails and to capture the hydrogen gas. You might be able to get a diluted solution that would work.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
I have a quart juice bottle about 3/4 full of vinegar. I put the parts in a jar or bowl, add the vinegar, but a lid on and let it set for a couple days. Then rinse with baking soda and water.
Keep the vinegar to use for this and nothing else, it will have the dissolved galvanizing in it.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
hey thanks guy`s, I`ll be giving it all a try this comeing weekend.
am using a small section of galv, pipe on the rebuild of an old buttplate repair, on an old rifle of a friend, its an old 1872- custom hntting rifle.

Posts: 196 | Location: kenai peninsula alaska | Registered: 09 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Battery acid =sulfuric acid

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Burning, removing galvanized steel produces a deadly gas. FYI

Posts: 4 | Location: Southport, NC, Upstate NY | Registered: 31 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
I'm referencing the zinc coating, not galvanized metal. Sorry for the confusion. I agree about galvanized metal.

hootalrifleshop.org

Posts: 1399 | Location: Rolling Hills of Iowa | Registered: 26 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
FYI: Shipyard welders are advised to drink milk if they feel ill after being exposed to the fumes from galvanized pipe.

Posts: 332 | Location: South Coast (MS) | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
HELLO GUY`S WELL I TRIED THE VINEGAR METHOD WORK`D LIKE A CHARM IT DID!
IT LEFT A LIKE NEW GREY FINESH ON THE METAL,I USED STRIGHT VINEGAR PUT THE METAL IN FOR FOUR HOURS AND RINSED IT OFF UNDER HOT WATER ANDDRIED IT OFF NO RUST JUST A NEW GREY LOOK TO IT,DOUBLE CHECKED IT NO SIGN OF GALVINIZEING LEFT ON IT AY ALL.

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Just a hint about rust removel
if you got some rusty tools or gun parts go get you some EVAPO-RUST from a auto parts store
the stuff works great, just follow directions on the jug.
used it to remove the browning on an old rifle barrel so I can rebrown it properly on a new build.