New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back in the Shop
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Well, it seems like it's been a long time since I was in the shop steady back in the spring. Fall got overtaken with hunting, which is a good thing, but after ten deer and the water freezing and keeping me from the geese it was time to open the shop today, fire the woodstove and start doing some gun work.

Felt good to get back in there and make some wood chips! Inlet a pistol barrel and worked on a .36 rifle that's been a long time going, started shaping the forestock and building a two piece nosecap for that. Hoping to finish that rifle this winter, build that .40 pistol and maybe even get on a .58 plains rifle that I still need a few parts for. And horns and turkey calls, too!

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Very cool sir! I wish I had the skills.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Excellent, Osprey.
My "shop" is out in the barn, unfortunately there is no heat out there. Most of the time here in Tennessee it is warm enough to be relatively comfortable out there, but right now artic air has pushed deep into the southland and the temperature at night drops into the twenties with daytime highs of only around 40*F.
On my workbench right now are the parts of a Harley Sportster waiting to be put back together, a couple of horns waiting to be made into powder horns, and all the parts for a .45 target muzzleloading pistol. They will all have to wait for warmer weather.
Meanwhile, inside the house, I work on acrylic landscape paintings, fraktur, and genealogy.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
You're good to go on those projects once again, Osprey. And it'll keep you off the street, too. Big Grin

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3493 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Been getting work done in the afternoons, but it's taking until lunchtime for the woodstove to get the shop warm enough to work in! Brrr, almost down to single digits at night.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
That little .36 is almost there! Got the stock in the house rubbing on oil finish coats, working on polishing the lock this weekend and will brown the barrel this week with lots of rain in the forecast to keep the humidity up. Anxious to get this one together and done and spitting fire. Big Grin

Hopefully will have enough time in the last 2 weeks of February to introduce her to some squirrels before the season ends, too!!

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear your winter work is about to earn it's keep in the squirrel woods Osprey!!

I too have been slowly gaining progress on a 60 caliber jaeger project started last Sept. The colder than usual temps have moved me out of my shop and into the basement.

Utilizing an old dining room table for a work bench and having to relocate stolen tools just about daily (our house cat "Junior" is a klepto)
Eeker

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Walking Bear 1954
posted Hide Post
Always good to get back to the shop

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what’s for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed sheep that can contest the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 33 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 14 December 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
July now, hot hazy and humid, no way possible any shop work is getting done. Sitting in the AC dreaming about guns to build this winter, projects to start and all the fun I'm going to have at Dixons Gunmakers fair in a couple weeks, but I'm already anxious for October and cool weather!