New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poor man engraving
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
I wanted to do some VERY simple engraving on a patchbox cover.I thought I could take the one needle file that is a kind of oval shape and taking my time use it on edge to rough in a design. I discovered that it bit. So I used my wooden wood chisel mallet and chased(?) the file around the design. Doesn't look to bad. On a stock it would be a simple incised line carving. I know I'm not the first to discover this. I am interested in hearing from anyone else who has tried this.Learn something new everyday.For what it's worth-it is a iron patchbox cover.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
Can you post a pic? Sounds like an interesting way to do it.....I'd like to try that myself.

Posts: 1452 | Location: Good Ole USA of course! | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
I have a number of hammer gravers I have made from files through the years . But they are made from small triangle files . The tangs of the files I save and make small wiggler type gravers out of them by putting them in a push graver handle

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Deadeye, I don't know how to post things. I'm lucky I know how to get on here. If you have a needle file set the file I used is tapered to a point like a leaf. The cross section is somewhat oval or lozange shaped. I just adjusted the point as to how much it cut. I don't have the desire to be an engraver. Just wanted something simple. Captchee,in Buchele's book he describes how to make a graver out of a file. Thanks guys.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
Well while you may not have a want to be an engraver , you are engraving .
Its no harder to make a proper engraving tip then it is to make a poor one .
. A whole lot , if not most historic rifle makers were not trained engravers . that’s why a lot of the work looks like it does . Just a simple square graver will do most everything you would want to do .
Making things look professional . Now that takes practice . Just picking up a graver and cutting a plate isn’t going to make you an engraver

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hey Cap. At least he didn't try it with a Dremel as some do.

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
true .

Let me clarify something here as I don’t what to seem like im being harsh .
Im not nor am I purposefully trying to be, doublelong spring .

Im not sure how to put this in words .
See a poor mans engraving , can be just about anything ranging from simply scratching a design in metal with a knife blade all the way up to just simple ,basic line patterns with a small chisel .
In this case , you took the time to actually make a graver that would accomplish what your wanted to do . You did the job and you like the way it turned out .
2 thumbs up on that . Its something to be proud of and ill bet it something you will try again . You should really post a photo . If you have problems doing that . E-mail me a photo and ill post it here for you .

I have found through the years that there are a lot of folks who want to do just what you did . Either they don’t know how , think its to expensive or overly difficult .
They often don’t realize that nice attractive work can be done with simple hand made tools and some practice ..

Booshway
Picture of Tuscarora
posted Hide Post
In the July/August 2011 edition of Muzzleloader, Mike Nesbitt had an article entitled "Just Do It!". The gist of the article is that we shouldn't hold back from doing a project just because we are not experts or we don't have all the finest tools. Just do it!

The idea of using a needle file to engrave is an interesting one. As Captchee said, it would be great if we could see a picture of the result.

Tuscarora

Posts: 352 | Location: Nueva Helvetia en Alta California | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
Doublelong Spring, it's easy to post a pic once you figure it out....make sure your picture is below 100 kb, I try and keep mine at 99 kb if possible.
Then when you reply to a post or start a new one write in what text you want and you will see "Add Attachmant?" below in green letters. Click on that, then click on the Browse box. Clicking on the browse box is for you to go get your pic that you want to post. I always put my pics that I want to post on my Desktop so it's easier to find. Once you get to your pic then click on your pic and the location should appear in the "File Source" box next to the "Browse" box. Then click on the "Post Now" box to finish posting like normal. You will get a message saying you were successful in posting or not. If your pic is below 100 kb you should be fine.

Now if you don't know how to get your pic under 100kb all you have to do is resize it or crop it.....hopefully you have some picture image program that'll do it, I have Paint on my PC which was part of the computer software when I bought it.

That should help you, If you still have problems just let us know, we'll get it figured out.

Posts: 1452 | Location: Good Ole USA of course! | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
I often read posts where folks have problems learning how to post photos to forums .
Depending on the programming for the forum , there can be different options .
So I decided I would do this quick picture tutorial on posting photos that will work on ALL forums that use the [IMG] format
First thing you need to do is get the photo to your PC.
If your using a digital camera. The camera instructions will lead you through linking your camera or its image card to your PC.
If your using a phone simply email your image to your email account . Then save the image to a location you can easily find ., either your desktop or a specific file .

Next thing you need is a internet photo storage site. There are many different ones .
Myself I use Photo bucket . Its basic free option is all you need
Here is a link to photo bucket
http://photobucket.com/
Simply set up a account , then follow their online instruction on uploading a photo to your new online storage .
Save the link to your new photo main page in your favorites .

One of the nice things about Photo bucket is that it not only allows photos but also short video . It also resize and formats so that the photo will be acceptable for most all internet forums .
So no need for the computer challenged to have to work through re sizing a photo .

Ok so lets get started putting a photo into a topic thread
First thing you want to do is hit the reply button for the topic you wish to reply to
For this tutorial ill be using this forums setup as well as this thread .

Ok so that opens up the reply window where you write your message .
Along the top of the new window you will see the option bar . Now note that some forums used letters , others small pictures to help you understand what the functions do .
So lets take a minute here to understand the tool bar and what it then allows you to insert or do
Starting from left to right :
Smilies: these are also called emotions and allow you to quickly add smiles , frowns or confused faces to your thread .

Color pallet : this allows you to change the color of your print . . IE you could write in Blue or red . But one should note that others will see this color change . Its often distracting so it best to stay with simple black .

URL: this option allows you to insert a link to either another thread OR web page . So if you want people to read an article or see another web page , that’s the button you use

B : this stands for Bold . So if you want to highlight a section of what your righting or call attention to a specific word . This will make your words Bold .

I : stands for Italics

ABC with a line through it : this allows you to cross out wording in your post

“ “ : this is the quote function so if your wanting to quote what someone else has said . that’s what you use

*----
*----
*---- : this function allows you to make sub information points under a main point

E-mail : this is used to send your message to an e-mail account

Photo : in this case we have a little picture but on some forums its an [IMG]. This function is for adding photos

Video : here we see a Film strip . But some forums use [vid] this is for adding a video to the post

: this is the greater lesser function . Frankly its seldom used or seen . So ill let those who do use it explain it

OK so we have written our information and are ready to place a photo into the thread . So we click on the button for inserting an image

This now opens up a smaller new window on this forum . But on other forums what this does is insert [IMG][/img} into your thread . The address / URL of your photo goes between these . You will see how that’s placed here in a minute , so bare with me .

Ok so now we need to open a new browser page .
If your using MSN then you click on the butterfly and a new page will start while leaving the current page up . If your using internet explorer the it will be the big E.

From there you go to your favorites and chose you photo bucket link which will take you to your albums and photos that you have stored on photo bucket .
Once there , you chose the photo you wish to insert into the thread .
In this case I have went to my engraving folder ..
As you place your curser on a photo a small window will appear below the photo giving you options . You want to chose the direct link option.
Left click your mouse and you will se the word “COPIED “ appear.
All that’s happened is photo bucket has copied the link .

Now we go back and open the old browser window that we are making our post in.
Place your curser in the provided window and right click .
This will add the address to that window

Now click the ok button and you will see the complete address linked into your post .

Now take not of how the HTTP address is now between the brackets of the [IMG][/IMG}
On forums where when you click on the IMG button and it does not open a window but places the IMG into your writing , all you have to do is place the address for your photo between the ][ brackets of the IMG .

Now we can continue writing , add another photo by clicking of the photo button or we can simply post our writings by clicking the post button.

One problem that can happen is that your image doesn’t show up .
You may get a small box with a RED X in it .
This can mean a couple things
A) you didn’t click the direct link button. IE you have the wrong address. OR if your using a photo storage that makes you click and copy a link , you didn’t copy the whole link . Its easy to tell if that’s the case because your image link should always end with the type of image it is . IE JPG , BIT ……..,…. Most used will be JPG .
B) when you pasted your image address you ended up with a blank space .
There can be NO SPACE.
It “MUST” look like this:

NOT like this

So there you have it . Hope that helps folks.

Note: concerning all the other functions buttons that we first covers
All these “for the most part “ are used in the very same way as posting a photo .
IE you place an address or your writing between the ][ or in the window that becomes available after clicking the option .
The acceptation to that is linking Video to a post . Some forum programming allows you to provide an address that will then provide a U-tube type , clickable video into the posts . Other forums do not allow this option .
The other thing to remember is that concerning writing options like the Bold and color options .
You can combined these options .
Lets say you want to use bold lettering . But you want that lettering to be RED .
You do that by combining both options and placing the color option between the Bold option ][ like this

So what happens is we see this in your finished post

photo posting tutorial

so again , i hope this helps folks understand things alittle better concerning how to add photos to threads , as well as how the other posting functions work.

In closing let me say this .
While many forums allow or contain and upload function . That function many times requires you to resize your photos before they can be uploaded .

Also some times that function applies programming tags that will not allow the address of your photo to be used on other forums Thus making it hard to link to if you decide to use that same photo somewhere else with the same effect .

You should also know that this can be good thing as it can save your photo from being used by someone else .

We should always keep in mind that what we post or place on the internet can end up being used or placed in places we don’t want . So always think about what your posting or placing on the net .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: captchee,

Booshway
posted Hide Post
You can't be serious.

Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
I use a square engraver. My engravings are simple and not fancy. On the earlier guns, a lot of the engraving was simple. Only the Masters of the past with literally years of experience would have mastered the engraving skills. Here a couple samples of my own. Not great but decorative.

I use China White on the brass then pencil my markings or I use a fine tip black magic marker.

Hope this helps.

AL

hootalrifleshop.org

Posts: 1400 | Location: Rolling Hills of Iowa | Registered: 26 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
Doublelong, There's so much to posting that Cap uses and explained that I'm going to have too go over that info myself. The way I explained it is simpler, but I'm sure there are similiar ways. Do the easy way first then try what Cap is telling us.

Hoot Al, That stuff looks great if you ask me! Glad to see some of your work posted....I haven't seen much in awhile.

Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublelong spring:
You can't be serious.

yep
while it looks like alot , all your doing is copy and pastinga URL for your photo intop your thread . nothing more nothing less .
no resizing to fit diffrent forums . no using paint , scanning , croping . none of that .
just copy and paste.
also as i said . you will be able to poste a photo on near all /any forum . remember , alot do not give you an upload or attachment button
takes all of about 2 seconds

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Captchee,
And here all these years I have been laborously typing in the entire url including the brackets. Hmmmnnnn...
Have to read your tutorial again and try it next time.
Hombre del Bosque

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
the thing is . no mater how you do it , the photo has to have been uploaded to the internet be it using an upload button on a forum which uploads it and stores it onto the forum providers server , or uploading it to a photo storage site like photo bucket .

Take Hoot Al’s photos.
Because they are already uploaded all I need is the address.
So I put my curser on his photo . Right click . Click properties and there is the address.
All I have to do is highlight the address and paste it between the [IMG][/IMG} and his photos would be in my post

Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
Trying this new posting a pic another way....

As you can see it worked! I used Photobucket which was easy to set up. It's easy Doublelong and after studing Caps tutorial it was pretty clear and basic....I like this way better since the pics come in so much better, bigger for all to see.

Volat, Who says old dogs can't learn new tricks?!

Thanks Cap!

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hoot Al, I don't think that I would call your work simple or not fancy! How about ( pretty darn good!) to start. tony

Posts: 349 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 14 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
My simple engraving method is this:
I wait until the next big shoot at Berryville, Arkansas and take my piece along. When I get there I hand it to Smitty and say "engrave this". Wink BTW: he is reasonable and one of the best anywhere.
http://www.smittys-engraving.us/

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
Berryville! I used to hang in Berryville, Harrison and Jasper and even went to Mountain Home a time or two. I was there around 76-78 and in those days all I did was party! Some of those Ozark roads are deadly with a hot rod Mustang...... Roll Eyes