MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Making the Siler look English
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making the Siler look English
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of Bookie
posted
I've added a few photos to my website:" www.toadhallrifleshop.com about altering the Siler flint locks to appear more English looking and thus more correct for building Southern Mountain and other American long guns. The photos added show how to weld up the frizzen to complete the overall effect. Check it out if you want to learn something and I sure ain't gonna try to sell you something. Cheers, Bookie

Newton Lodge #59 AF & AM

Posts: 2007 | Location: Corn Patch, Iowa | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Much appreciated Bookie! When it comes to locks, I have to admit I have always had a hard time seeing the "devil" in all of the different details. Kind of like seeing the forest thru the trees kind of thing. Your website posts are truly enlightening! I have a couple of flintlock rifle's that I made up using old original wrought iron barrels. It has been my plan to someday re-bore and re-rifle each one. They are both small 31-2 caliber and have plenty of meat for such a job. As they sit now and they have been sitting for a very long time! They are just too heavy to lug around. I have shot them some, but know if they were bored out it would make them considerably lighter.

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Bookie
posted Hide Post
If you rebore them, since theys old wrought irons, after the lands are gone, use a strong light to check the bore. Many times wrought barrels develop cracks that run along the groove in the corner of where the land meets it. They can literally grow the entire length of the barrel. Have had a couple blow up. The crack can be a bear to discern, so take your time inspecting. Good luck to you.

Newton Lodge #59 AF & AM

Posts: 2007 | Location: Corn Patch, Iowa | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post