Find
Notify
Tools

NWTG Barrel Finish
 Login/Join

Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted
Hey fellers, I'm getting ready to start building a new Northwest Trade Gun; .62 cal 42" barrel. Here's my dilemma; I've always browned all the rifle barrels and furniture and either browned or case hardened the locks. On a smoothbore trade gun what would be the more traditional finish for the very early 19th century? Should I go ahead and stay with a brown finish? I don't want to leave it in the white. Y'all weigh in on this.

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Seen some that were browned....but I have read in fur company ledgers where blued barrels and fittings were requested.
I would be happy to look up these sources if you would like.....
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Hey Andy I would appreciate it. Just getting ready to start the build so I have a little time to research and make my choice. Thank you sir.

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
The Rocky Mountain Fur Trade Journal, volume 3 2009 has a like new Northwest gun made by Sargant.The barrel and trigger guard are rust blued on this gun. This gun is a flintlock and has a date of 1854.
I will check out some ledger notes for ya in a bit.....
Andy

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
American Fur Company "120 NW guns London proved blue barrels stamped to same as Hudson's Bay" 1822...this is taken from the book Supply & Demand the ledgers and gear of the western fur trade.
Will see about getting you some more....
Andy

Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
1828, J.Joseph Henry "The locks of the NW guns are to be 6 inch, the barrels to be bright blue and the Stocks well varnished- In all respects they are to be fully equal to Barnetts...."
Andy

Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
1794 "Locks for guns blued from the smooth waterpan" HBC Ledgers...however, 1780 "That the guns have Brown stocks (no white) the barrels likewise Brown with an additional Weight of 6 oz to them for Strength..." HBC Ledger
Andy

Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Thanks Andy. MUCH good information! The books in my meager library don't provide this great info. So far it l like either would acceptable but so far I'm leaning toward the rust blue for both lock and barrel.

Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
You are very welcome....on my northwest gun, I rust blued the barrel and trigger guard...and case colored the lock...then polished all of the above....gives a good antique look.
Hanson's book on the northwest gun...and Gooding's Trade Guns of the Hudson's Bay Company are excellent books to add to any library.
Andy