New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winter Projects?
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Anyone working on anything this winter? I've been lax on getting in the shop much this year, but am picking away on one rifle, a .36 with a 48" Rayl barrel. Generally Maryland school, although I'm using a lot of different things to work on my own styling. Kopp profile on the stock, Peter White patchbox, carving more like the western makers like the Markers and Rizers.

What I really need is nasty, snowy, rainy weather to force me into the shop. Been too nice, hunting all fall and early winter and now working/hiking outside a lot.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I've been busy, but not on projects like you are talking about.
This winter I built a 12'x20' cabin on the back of my property for my grandson to live in for the time being. He works nights and is sleeping out there right now.
A week ago I started tearing out an old fence and clearing the fence line. Lots of brush, honeysuckle, briar, and poison ivy along in there.
I went to see a doc this morning for a poison ivy shot, but he wouldn't give it to me because my blood pressure is up too high. Meanwhile the itch is driving me crazy.
I have two tractors, a truck, a car, two motorcycles, and an outboard motor to service before spring gets here.
I have all the miscellaneous parts for a .45 percussion target pistol laying on my workbench, but no time right now to get to it.
I finally got into the woods for a couple of hours yesterday. Plenty of deer tracks coming out of the swamp near my ground blind. Where were they last season?!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Well, I've finally finished up a conversion of a cheap CVA "Kentucky" percussion pistol. I converted it to flint (not recommended, really,) and took off enough wood that it looks like a pistol now. Always been a good shooter, I'll say that.
My other project has really been a two-year project or longer--a .45 flint Kentucky pistol from parts. I'm making progress...

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Well, I just finished up a conversion of a cheap, good-shootin' CVA Kentucky pistol. Switched to flintlock (not really recommended because of the patent breech,) and removed enough wood that it looks a bit like a pistol now.
Also making progress on a 2+-year project: a .45 flint pistol from parts. Keeps me off the streets, or would if it weren't for my attention span.

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I've got some carbon steel knives, modern scaled, that I need to change the handles on and to alter the shape of the blade a bit. I've also need to make a passel of dipped, beeswax candles. I like to do that in winter, but the high today was 65 when it's supposed to be 35.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I have two; a TC Renegade made with random parts with an L&R replacement lock and an old, very old, TC Hawken kit I am finishing up today.

Here is the Renegade;

No pics of the finished Hawken yet, to cold out to go to my shop.

Posts: 47 | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Nice,looks clean...

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Yes, it sure does look nice.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
Just finished a Kentucky Dueling pistol. Getting started on finishing a J P Beck Rifle.

hootalrifleshop.org

Pistol Lock Side

Posts: 1399 | Location: Rolling Hills of Iowa | Registered: 26 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I took a lot of wood off the Renegade stock and shaped the lock panels correctly.

I am doing the same to the Hawken.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Nice....

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Hey Eric Krewson,

That stock is looking nice. When did the "half heart" cheek piece replace the )__( shaped one, or did they always run contemporary to each other??

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I completely reshaped the cheekpiece, wrist and a bunch of other parts on the stock.

As I was putting the gun together I found TC had stripped out one of the buttplate screw holes. While drilling it out to glue in a dowel. I knocked it out of my vise and broke the toe. The stock now has a toe plate to cover up this break and the patch I put in that looked awful.

So, I get the stock refinished and do the final assembly for the second time and find the lock won't cock, it has a frozen sear spring plunger. I had to have it milled out, it was rusted in tight, don't know how it got moisture in the housing. The plunger should be in today to put everything together and finish the build.

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Looks like it is going quite well. Very nice, IMO.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
It appears you are doing an excellent job sir!
I rather enjoy the look.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
and find the lock won't cock, it has a frozen sear spring plunger. I had to have it milled out, it was rusted in tight, don't know how it got moisture in the housing.

Is it time for an after market, TC Hawken Lock by L&R ??

Big Grin

LD

Factor
posted Hide Post
I also enjoy the look,very clean.

Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
What you did is called Gunsmithing. You did well.

hootalrifleshop.org

Posts: 1399 | Location: Rolling Hills of Iowa | Registered: 26 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I replaced the bad sear spring and plunger, everything works just fine now.

Here is the finished rifle, it has never been fired, I think I will keep it pristine until I decide if I am going to keep it or not.

The grain makes it look like I hollowed out a place in the front of the comb but it is a nice smooth transition of wood.

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Very nice work on the TC Eric!

My winter projects have been kind of subdued on account of no heat in the garage work shop.

I did manage to do some needed work on a newly acquired custom Bucks County longrifle.

I took it out to my back yard range the day after I brought it home, only to find a problem with constant pan flashes and misfires.

Even after picking the touch hole, still many no go's.

Soooo.....I dressed warm and spent some quality time in the shop installing a Chamber's White Lighnin' T\H liner!

Result's out on the range were 100% sure shot shoot'n! Cool

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post