New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small Queen Anne lock
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Any thoughts on putting a small Queen Anne lock on a .50 42" barrel.The rifle would be of the ,"Go;den Age," time frame. 7/8" barrel. Slender frame.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
The small Queen Anne lock is really for pistols and small rifles and would, IMHO, look out of place on a large rifle. For a Golden Age era rifle rifle something like the large Siler would be correct, or maybe Chambers' Golden Age lock. I have longrifles with both these locks and really like them.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Yes Hanshi I know and know your right. I have two rifles with large Siler. Iam probably getting nervous before I have to. But I have my reasons for asking.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
If you already have the Queen Anne trade up to the Colonial Va for the long rifle. Same price.

Posts: 102 | Registered: 27 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
I would stay with the larger lock . ,either a Ketland , Durs Egg or a Siler . Even a Twigg would be good
You have not said your reasons , but assuming that you could be thinking that it will effect your lines , it IMO wont .

Lets also remember that a lot of pistols have large breeched barrels that can be 7/8 or larger . The QA doesn’t look out of place on those . In fact if done right , the lock can even seem to large .
Ill probably get some flack from this but , the small Queen Anne isn’t all that much smaller then say Jims Deluxe Siler
The Queen Ann is 5 X 7/8 where the Chambers DS is 5 3/8 X 1
Both take a ¾ flint . So both have wide frizzens .
Both measure out very near the same when measured from top of frizzen to bottom of lock plate , with frizzen closed and the lock cocked . .
So basically 1/8 wider , which is only 1/16 on each side and 3/8 longer , which is 3/16 on each end .
So on the plus side , because the lock isn’t as long , a person could then reduce the size of the lock mortise’s a little and give the illusion of more length forward and a longer wrist
, granted only marginally as again we are not talking all that much size difference.
Speaking of presentation size on the finished piece I would think you still should be able to make the proper proportions.
Remember , just because we are talking “small” doesn’t mean the lock is as small as say a Davis ,Becky lock .
Anyway to my point, as you can see , if the concern is trying to make a small slim rifle , using a larger lock isn’t going to make all that much difference

My concern is that IMO the QA isn’t as strong a lock at the Siler is
Add into that , how will a round faced lock fit in the overall presentation of your rifle ??????
If what you were building was a very slim early rifle in say 32-40 cal . I would say go for it , hook up ,,,, stand in the door Airborne

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
OK. The reason and this is inexperience. I cut my blank a little close on the bottom side and am concerned about room. I've made some lock templates and it will go I guess. Cutting the way I did has me doing some figuring and sweating roundballs all around,but I think I can carry on.Thanks.

Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you will just need to adjust the height of your trigger to compensate for the lower lock assembly. No big deal.

Rounding the belly will be delicate, too. But this is doable, too.

hootalrifleshop.org

Posts: 1400 | Location: Rolling Hills of Iowa | Registered: 26 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hanshi I recieved a Chambers Golden Age Lock yesterday and I didn't take it apart,I just put it against the stock and I think that it was an excellent choice. THe slim line and slight curve I think it will do just great. The lock panel molding around the bottom will be a little slim but it will work out. THanks again.

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Dbl spring, Chambers GA lock is one of their finest locks both in function and geometry. I very much like the large Siler and have two of them but the GA lock is simply a more graceful lock. I'm glad you find it "right" for your build.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Be very careful with the inlet on the small Queen Anne lock. The mainspring goes all the way down to the bottom of the plate.There is no margin for error at the bottom of your inlet.

Posts: 332 | Location: South Coast (MS) | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post