MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Hey Fellers, whatcha building these days?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey Fellers, whatcha building these days?
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
I have been tinkering with a couple of Thompson center rifles. I adopted some Seneca barrels that were very poorly maintained. However, slow is the progress on guns 'cause currently my Honey-do list is priority these days. My priority will soon change with my favorite seasons approaching.

One T/C is a Seneca with which I have 3 barrels. I have a .32, a .40 (a rusted out .36 that Hoyt relined/bored) and a .45.

The .32 shoots fantastic. I hope to intimidate a few squirrels with it shortly as our season opens Sept. 11.

The .40 has a special twist of 1:37. It is an experiment. I have seen where other folks have used this twist rate to shoot a certain conical extremely accurately. I also want to see if it is still a slow enough twist to shoot roundballs accurately (maybe, maybe not).

The .45 is a work in progress. It was a barrel that was poorly maintained when I adopted it. If it will clean up and shoot decently, I will leave it as is and hunt with it. If it does not perform, off to get relined back into it's original twist for .45.

Also, the stock is in need of some TLC and I plan to shorten the butt stock to fit me better.

Wanting to play with muzzleloaders, DanL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DanL,

God bless America and Alba Gu Brath!

Posts: 569 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have fun lined up for awhile!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Sent the stock of my "hodgepodge" rifle off to Pecatonica a month or so ago to see if they will make a copy of it. They said they can but it will be 8 weeks or so because they are super busy.

In the mean time I blued its Colerain barrel using LMF browning solution and it came out pretty well, if I say so myself. I also refinished the stock of my T-C Pennsylvania Hunter. Ordered a couple of coninc tools from Joe Wood in .45 & .50 for both of these rifles, and possibly the restocked CVA Bobcat (full stock was made by Pecatonica for it).

Posts: 70 | Registered: 07 January 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post