MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Solutions for cleaning Pyrodex,,,
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solutions for cleaning Pyrodex,,,
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I agree with Hanshi. I plug the vent hole with a tooth pick and fill the barrel with hot water. I let it soak for a while an pour it out. I pour in some more and let it flow out the vent. Follow that with some cleaning patches till its clean then oil it. It really doesnt take but a few patches to clean it.

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I buy Goex powder from Craig Kirkland, Bear River Powder, in Evanston, Wyoming. He's a good guy and good to deal with. He advertises in the Muzzleloader. He will ship mixed cases. I buy it by case because my wife and I both shoot, and if we didn't want it all most of our friends are black powder shooters and there's always someone who can use some powder. Or join a muzzleloader club and get it through the club.
And I would go along with Hanshi, Walking Crow and Woods Loper on water. Taking a tip from Matt Dennison I fill empty dish soap containers with water and that makes the water a little soapy and is very convenient for squirting the stuff down the barrel. Course I would never take a plastic container to a primitive doin's. Have also spit a shot of whisky down the barrel and swabbed it out for a quick field cleaning when camped out.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scoundrel:
I buy Goex powder from Craig Kirkland, Bear River Powder, in Evanston, Wyoming. He's a good guy and good to deal with. He advertises in the Muzzleloader. He will ship mixed cases. I buy it by case because my wife and I both shoot, and if we didn't want it all most of our friends are black powder shooters and there's always someone who can use some powder. Or join a muzzleloader club and get it through the club.
And I would go along with Hanshi, Walking Crow and Woods Loper on water. Taking a tip from Matt Dennison I fill empty dish soap containers with water and that makes the water a little soapy and is very convenient for squirting the stuff down the barrel. Course I would never take a plastic container to a primitive doin's. Have also spit a shot of whisky down the barrel and swabbed it out for a quick field cleaning when camped out.
Wow,that's pretty hard core,Scoundrel,I'd never waste whiskey that way...... Wink

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2013 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Rare and desperate circumstances, Boartooth. But at least I get to taste it before it goes down the tube. If you go to the Troy, Oregon rendezvous the end of April I'll give you a pull out of the jug before any gets wasted down the barrel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: scoundrel,

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Hello the fire, I've shot the evil 'dex for a long time and have used many a concoction for cleaning such. Hoppes BP, T/C #13, Ballistol, soap and water, Ivory soap that is and whatever else along the way. The point here is that there are as many ways to clean Pyrodex as there are to clean real BP. Vinegar (acid) vs. gun barrel I'm not so sure of. Have even used that American Pioneer stuff and cleaned it with spit patches with good results. These days I am using Goex, the real thing, as those synthetics ain't worth a hoot in a flinter. Ain't nothin' like the real thing. Buy some, try some. You'll like it.

Posts: 69 | Registered: 12 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Well,Scoundrel,you just pointed out something I've overlooked in my eagerness to get shooting,I forgot to join a muzzle loader club....The locals go by the handle "Mount Mazama Mtn, Men",so I guess I'd better get crackin' 'fore they stop talking to me altogether when I walk into the local store.....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2013 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I have used for years the mixture found in Muzzle Blasts, 1/3 Murphy's oil soap, 1/3 denatured alcohol, 1/3 3% peroxide. It cleans!

Plug the nipple or touchhole fill the bore, wait 10 minutes or so and pour out. Dry the bore with clean patches and then wipe with one patch of WD-40 to dislocate water and then coat with RIG universal grease.

I did this at the end of every weekend match here in NE for 15 years plus and at the last match put the gun away till the next season with no problems.

Posts: 109 | Location: NH | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post