Find
Notify
Tools

Bore reamer needed
 Login/Join

Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted
Does anyone know where we can get a .70 bore reamer, preferably to rent? My son is in his 3rd year of his associates degree gunsmithing program and wants to build a matching pair of colonial period smooth bore flintlock pistols and needs a reamer to make the barrels.

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Do they finish at .70? If so you would need to ream at .695 and burnish to .70

"I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late." Quigley

Posts: 104 | Location: The Beehive State | Registered: 12 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about taking an already drilled piece of steel and reaming it to the desired caliber, or talking a piece of steel and turning it into a barrel?

(I wonder why a school offering an associate's degree in gunsmithing would not have a machine to ream a bore, then burnish it?)

Brownell's has different reamers and since you are talking about a pistol barrel, if you already have a piece of drilled stock, they should have the tools to finish enlarging the barrel and then burnishing it.

I doubt you will find folks who would "rent" a reamer suited for an entire barrel length, and if you are talking doing a barrel from scratch..., that's even more involved. The tools are rather precision pieces, and a renting of such would put an expensive item in jeopardy as they have no idea of the knowledge and skill of the renter. Again if you already have a drilled piece of steel and simply want to expand it, you might be able to use something from Brownell's like a shotgun barrel reamer, since it's a pistol barrel. Still probably talking about more than $100 for the tool with shipping.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3660 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post