New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear season
 Login/Join

Free Trapper
posted
Well I have been doing some fence work for a ranch here in Gunnison to make gas money to get back home to MT which allowes me to bear hunt in the morn and afternoon.
I have called in several bear but were not the ones I wanted or did not present a good clean kill oppertunity.
Last night I set up in a spot I had seen bear moving through during their sept food freek out before they den up in the winter.
I called in a medium size bear about three hundred lbs or a little lighter last night way before dark. I decided not to harvest him and watched him until he got disinterested and moved on, or so I thought! about twenty mins later I heard teeth popping right behind me, I slowly turned to see the same bear 20yrd and acting aggressive, I showed myself knowing he had allready winded me but all he did was to slap at the ground and act like he may charge as I have seen in the past. Oh well young bear tast good.
I put my 50 cal round ball through his chest and he dumped with heart and lungs blown out.
I am now officially done forever hunting in CO.

slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Posts: 197 | Location: the backwoods of Gunnison CO | Registered: 04 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the bear. At least you got meat and a good story out of it.
Gonna get my rifle out tonight and start hunting for some winter meat. Only have a deer tag but meat is meat.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity,is Colorado that bad?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Very nice Nathan

"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Posts: 516 | Location: Ft Parker/Ft Manuel Lisa | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Great looking bear Nathan. I have some friends that go west every yr elk hunting an they too say colorado has seen the last of their hard earned dollars.

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Wow, you hit pay dirt again. Our Va bear ML season starts in Nov. I don't expect to get one but you never know.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good shooting!
Our early bear season here in TN closed yesterday. I spent two days in the woods but did not see a thing. I did hear of several bear and at least 8 wild pigs being taken off the mountain that I had been hunting.
Most successful bear hunters here use hounds. Baiting is not permitted, and calling does not seem to work well here.
I don't have any bear hounds so about all that I can do is walk around in the woods.
Next, muzzleloader deer opens on the 26th.
Bear will come in season again later.

Also, why the disparaging words on Colorado? Has it been californicated? I have heard that it has.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Nice bear and an exciting hunt to boot! Where ya headed for ole coon?

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Very nice bear!

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boartooth:
Just out of curiosity,is Colorado that bad?

CO is great just overrun so I moved back to RT2

slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Posts: 197 | Location: the backwoods of Gunnison CO | Registered: 04 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good job congrats...

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Ah,I understand....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
great story and bear !

Posts: 64 | Location: piney woods of east texas | Registered: 23 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post