MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Hunting    Good for Deer, Bad for Turkeys
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good for Deer, Bad for Turkeys
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
The rain, that is. Dang, but we've had a load of it here. May was very hot and dry, but I've had 10" for June and 4" in the first week of July. Water laying everywhere, fields too wet to work, grass too wet to cut, ugh. Skeeters everywhere. Good for the deer as everything is as lush as can be and antler growth looks incredible so far, but I haven't seen the first turkey poult. Cold and/or wet are rough on the little birds, may not be many jakes next spring...

Checked some of my sawtooth oaks this morning, too, and the rain has them looking good. Lots of new growth and tons of acorns coming for fall. I know where I'll be sitting come October!

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
About the same down here in East Tennessee. Hot, dry May. Hot, rainy, very humid June. And, so far plenty of rain, humidity, and heat now in July. Local fireworks were cancelled on the 4th due to rain.
Can't mow the field because it is too muddy.
However, I've been so busy with other things that I haven't even been in the woods for the past two weeks. The only wild critters that I've seen are some squirrels and rabbits.
We are expecting relatives to arrive here tonight after they drive the 14 or more hours from NJ to here. Meanwhile, I see on the weather channel that from VA up to NJ it looks like all rain. So, we are concerned for them being out on the highways in it.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
You can send some of that rain out our way here in the west. California is so parched that when I turn on the tap, all I get is a puff of dust and an I.O.U. from the water company.

"Any day you wake up on the right side of the dirt is a good day"

Posts: 428 | Location: Northwestern California | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Leonard
posted Hide Post
We had 5+ inches the night before last ... and over 9" in June .

I WISH I could send some your way !!!

Posts: 46 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 28 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Pilgrim,You must have the same water company I do......'Course it's raining right now,but I don't think it's gonna do much good.Here on the East side of the Cascades it's dry,dry,dry....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
(Osprey up here in the Poconos we've had our share and somebody else share of rain. Last week in my back yard there were 3 bucks they all had brow tines and forks,and 8 turkeys. I'm glad to see them they are helping to keep the weeds down. Can't mow it's too wet.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Had another 3" yesterday morning, water laying everywhere. That brings me up over 7" for July and the month is only half over, plus rain in the forecast yet today. Ugh.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well things settled down here for the rest of summer. Been dry for spells, then timely rains to keep things growing well. Turkeys turned out so-so. I've been doing the DNR hen/poult sighting survey this year, more poults than I'd thought, but not as many as I'd like! Talked with the DNR guys last week and they've been seeing and hearing the same things, probably average to just below average production.

BIG bucks around though. Watched a SMOKER of an 8 point in my field the other night and have a herd of 5 bucks haning around with two really good ones in it. Another spot I hunt the landowner said he saw 4 monsters in velvet a couple weeks ago. Less than a month until bow season!!!!!!!!!!