Notify
Tools

pennsylvania late season
 Login/Join

Hivernant
posted
anyone else excited for pa late season?

plenty of time for sleep in the grave

Posts: 105 | Location: northern vermont | Registered: 06 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Cado
posted Hide Post
Don't live in Pa but would like to hear how it goes for ya. Good luck!

Posts: 617 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Me too,good luck!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
it's the one thing I look forward to all year, acouple friends and I hunt out of a half shelter we built on 30 acres 18th century style,been muzzleloading hunting for 23 year now,don't always get anything but hey,i'm not at work Smiler !!!

Posts: 49 | Registered: 08 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Crawdad
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy Pennsylvania season as they steadfast refuse to budge on anything.

FLINTLOCK ONLY.....PERIOD.

In the past people have tried to open it up but Pennsylvania's response was "Don't even think about using anything but a flintlock."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Crawdad,

Posts: 678 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
got a small doe first day,tip Curtis early Lancaster,.54 cal round ball,60 grains 3f,.015 patch,she was angling towards me,about 20 yrs when I shot,she went about 15 feet,ball went completely through,will be making sausage

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I used to roam Penn's Woods years ago. Took my first deer there, and a black bear as well.
Usually hunted Wyoming, Luzerne, and east in Monroe Counties. Used to have relatives who lived in Bangor, and a friend in Wilkes-Barre, but they are gone now. Still have a cousin who has a farm out west in Crawford County, south of Erie. They see some nice bucks and have invited me to hunt there, but I haven't done it yet.
But, Pennsylvania is still one of my favorite states for hunting.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Crawford,
I know. I wanted to hunt late season with my wheellock, figuring even more primitive than flint. I asked first. They said no. The reasoning is that: if they let anything else in it will only increase the pressure to let the guys hunt with inlines. I didn't even ask when my matchlock was completed. I just used it in modern rifle season.
El León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Crawdad
posted Hide Post
Volapluvia, that is interesting and a shame that they would say no. Hmm, I guess that have a point though because they want to keep in-lines out of Pennsylvania's primitive season with a passion.

They threw them a tiny, worthless, meatless and grimy bone a few years back giving them a small season in October I believe, doe only, no bucks.

Are you still in Mexico?? Smiler

Posts: 678 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Crawdad
posted Hide Post
Good going and good shot Hacksaw!!!

Booshway
posted Hide Post
PA used to have a great pheasant stocking program back in the 1960's. Is that still on-going? How is the small game hunting there now days?

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Crawdad
posted Hide Post
Rancocas, that's for sure. I remember back in the sixties seeing them in our back yard. I haven't hunted upland for some time now, don't have the lungs or the legs anymore for it, so I don't really know. But I know this, I haven't seen one in my backyard since the sixties.

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
well I learned something new this year .always reload.if you think he is down to stay then your pot will be empty,1st day last drive of the day 6 deer came too me 20 yrds shot the biggest one ,she fell like a bag of hammers back legs kicking she is dead was my thinking no need to reload last drive of the day ,well I get down off my rock to go claim my prize only its not there where is it ,panic sets in. then I see her 50 yards away .as im now fumbuleing around trying to reload ,out of sight now so I commence to tracking mode but there is no blood to follow.i go back to point of impact .theres blood everywhere I don't understand ,well I sid just back out and come in tomorrow with fresh eyes and light ,any trace will still be there in the morning .came back but still no deer ,found a few more drops of blood and that's it .I just don't understand,but always RELOAD

Posts: 105 | Location: northern vermont | Registered: 06 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Did you wait 20 minutes? Big Grin

After tracking a deer for four hours, and losing it to a fellow who would not let me onto his land to get it, as it moved across a property line, and he decided to keep it for himself, a sage, older hunter, told me I could've avoided all that by waiting.

I shot, as you did, and saw the buck pile up going downhill, just out of sight, so picked up my day pack, and walked over to collect him, and heard something move in the brush.

Now it's not uncommon where I hunt to spook another deer when you go to collect the one you've shot. They will sometimes move to a place they think is safe when they are hit...and that place may have other deer there too when you get there.

But I couldn't find my buck...found the blood, and the trail was intermittent, then petered out...had to work very hard, and finally found sign and more blood (figured out what moved was my deer, not another one) that the buck had doubled back toward the neighboring property. When I went to ask...the landowner didn't want me on his property. Frowner

So later that night I was talking to an experienced hunter on the phone, about the tracking, and he asked if I had waited. He explained that often a black powder ball hit is lethal, and the deer drop where hit or very close, but sometimes the wound is mortal, but they have enough left in them to move some. In fact, sometimes when they lie down... their body position puts pressure on their wound and buys them some time...only a few minutes, but it's enough, with the adrenalin that they get as the hunter walks up to them soon after they are hit...to give them a burst of energy for 100 or so yards of movement...and they can get pretty lost in that 100 or so yards.

So what he told me was after the shot...sure, reload, but then, "smoke a pipe". Give the animal 15 - 20 minutes to ensure, IF you gave it a mortal wound, but not an almost instant one, to allow it to lay down, and expire.

I've done this ever since. Three things I've learned...one... I've not had one runoff on me since, ....two...with does...being reloaded and watching the area where you last saw your deer, sometimes a doe or two will come back to find out what happened to the one that "didn't keep up" with the group. You might get a second deer (if your state allows that as mine does.) Three...for some reason, bucks seem to go farther than does before they lie down when not hit in the spine....don't know why but so far the youngster bucks that I've hit have gone an average of about 40 yards, while the does are found within sight of where they are hit.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Scribbles busily in his notebook...Thanks!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
the first deer on Monday I didn't wait but the buck on Friday I did actually I waited the entire day came back that evening to look and found hair and a bunch of it but same thing no blood no deer ,I felt like crud.a beautiful 8 20 yard broadside shot it fell right there and did the curly shuffle then got up and ran away I backed out ....went back the next day as well but the same found nothing,it did not limp or stagger once it got back up,so my question is if I made that buck fall on impact where did I hit it to not produce any blood ?I relive that moment trying to figure this out so it doesn't happen again,it was a beautiful buck,im sick

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I always take time to reload after taking a shot on a deer. I normally sit on stand and wait 45 min to 1 hr. By doing this I've often gotten one to two more deer during that wait. If it's dead it won't go anywhere; if it's not, it will be soon.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of NWTF Longhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
my question is if I made that buck fall on impact where did I hit it to not produce any blood ?I relive that moment trying to figure this out so it doesn't happen again,it was a beautiful buck,im sick

Im bettin dollars to donuts that you barked the deer, I've done it a few times and they did the same as yours did. When you "bark" a deer you've shot high and hit them on the top of the back just about the spine. When you nick the vertebra with a ball it knocks the pins (legs) out from under them and temporarily parallelizes them. Usually only for 10 or 15 seconds and as soon as they get their legs under them they're up and away. No real damage done and they will recover and be good as new.

Posts: 797 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I could tell you horror stories about deer being hit with flintlocks and centerfires,but this is my favorite,Father-in-law shots deer with 30-30,it falls down,he can see blood from where he is standin,starts getting stuff together and starts moving toward deer,he is maybe 15 yrds from deer when it jumps up and dang near runs him over ! he shoots and misses,the bllod trail looks like a sidewalk from p.o.I. to where he last saw the deer.i lowcrawled on the track for an hour after blood trail gave out.Came back next tried to pick it up again,followed till it ran out,never found the deer.And like NWTF Longhunter said,the F-I-L has barked a couple too

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
p.p.s,Pa still has it's pheasant stocking program,you hunt them in the woods like squirrels or hit them with your car,not much sport anymore