New
Find
Notify
Tools

Patch Lube
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted
Anybody out there got any homemade recipes for a good patch lube, I have been using unsalted lard mixed with a little wonder lube or bore butter for years (cuts down on the smell)never had any problems come rain, snow, sleet or shine and I know if it aint broke don't fix it but i was just a wandering what works for you?

Posts: 86 | Location: North central Alabama, Limestone County, Athens | Registered: 09 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
Big D olive oil it won't freeze up in the winter time andit makes cleaning the weapon afterward a lot easier on the range i use it after every 2-3 shots and it cleans that foul-ring that builts up in the barrel

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Thanks Newoodsrunner i will fer sure give that one a try keep plenty of olive oil around the kitchen for cooking

Anybody else got a good one to try.

Posts: 86 | Location: North central Alabama, Limestone County, Athens | Registered: 09 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
In the July/August 2012 issue of Muzzle Loader is a recipe for Moose Milk. I'm trying to find the water soluble oil mentioned in the recipe, and haven't found anyone that knows what it is.
What is it?
Is it like Murphys oil soap, or completely another type of product?
Thanks for a reply,
Iron owl

Posts: 3 | Registered: 28 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
I believe 'water soluble oil' refers to a type of machinists oil used in cutting and grinding (sold under names like 'Rust-lick' or 'Power-cut'). Try a machine shop or well-supplied auto parts store.

Dutch Schoultz's recipe for his 'dry patch' method called for water soluble oil and water, and I recall reading that Ballistol is water soluble and an acceptable substitute for the w.s.-oil.

And, Oregon Arborol Chain Saw Oil is a vegetable oil w/ emulsifier concoction that might be easier to find locally and be worth experimenting with.

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I am not sure real water soluable oil is still available. You might check with a large machine shop to see if they have some.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I will try to find the oil in a machine shop, or a machine shop.
Thanks again,

Booshway
posted Hide Post
3 parts olive oil to one part bee's wax. patch lube, hand cream, lip balm! Good stuff!

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
thanks woods loper lets change it up what is everybodys favorite patch lube (bore butter, wonder lube, ole griz, spit patch homemade what?) sound off with your favorite.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recipe, Woods Loper. I don't think I want to try the water soluble oil, since it costs about $58 a gallon, and the least I could find was a gallon. I'll try the wonder snake oil, and report back.

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
The most accurate natural patch lube that will not corrode you're powder is Mink oil by Track of the wolf and my own creation.
two parts elk or deer tallow, one part marmot oil.
you can use bear oil as well.
I heat up my lube to hot over the stove and dunk my patch into it than strip the excess off with a towel to create consistency.
very accurate!!

slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Posts: 197 | Location: the backwoods of Gunnison CO | Registered: 04 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post