New
Find
Notify
Tools

bad year buck
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Okay, in the interest of stimulating some talk on this site; here is a short version of my 2020 deer hunt.

2020 was a bad year. While the world was fighting Covid, early in the year I was diagnosed with prostrate cancer as well as NonHodgkins Lymphoma. I had three operations in which I lost some internal body parts. Then I began chemo and radiation treatments. I lost all my hair and 40 pounds.

In October that year my wife slipped and fell on our kitchen floor, fracturing her hip. After a week in the hospital I brought her home. We opted out of the recommended nursing home. I would take care of her here. Confined to a wheelchair at best, I attended to all her needs.

By December she was able to do some things for herself, so I asked if she was okay with me going to my local deer blind in the woods across the street from our house and hunting for a few hours.
She was okay with that.

I was in my blind before daylight. Just about one hour later, a nice buck came wandering past. I couldn't get a clear shot until after the buck had crossed the creek. Then it stopped to nuzzle in the grass. It was about a 50 yard shot with my self-made .50 percussion longrifle.

The buck ran up the hill and out of my sight. I waded across the creek, found a blood trail, and followed it. I found the buck lying just over the crest of the hill.
I field dressed it, but in my chemo weakened state I could not move the buck. I called my grandson, and he soon arrived to drag the deer back to my house where we hung it under the carport. Steve helped me process it the next day.

Meanwhile, my wife has now fully recovered from her fractured hip. I beat the cancer and have been cancer free for about one year now. My hair grew back, and I gained back the 40 pounds plus 20 pounds extra. Now, I go to the gym regularly to try and shed those extra 20 pounds.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good story Rancocas! Sounds like that hunt was a turning point of many things. Always good to involve a grandson in your experiences.

Glad you’re free of the cancer! Also happy to hear your wife is doing fine.

That buck should be your spirit animal.

God bless America and Alba Gu Brath!

Posts: 567 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Actually, stories like that encourage me to "keep on truckin'". My issues, and my wifes', seem pretty minor in comparison. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad things are working out positively, Praise God.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
You've been through a lot, Rancocas. I'm very glad to hear you and your wife are the winners. Best wished for staying healthy and safe.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
A great, encouraging story, thanks for sharing it!

Posts: 70 | Registered: 07 January 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
This past deer season I was in that same blind.
A buck came across the creek and kept moving. As it passed through my open shooting lane through the brush I touched off a shot. As the cloud of smoke dissipated I watched the white flag of the buck's tail as it ran off.
I checked for hair and blood but could not find any. I was able to track the deer by the disturbed leaf litter on the ground where the buck had run. I followed for 100 yards or thereabouts without finding any blood or other sign of a hit.
Returning to where the buck had been when I shot, I looked more closely. There it is. I had shot a tree!
I only got out a few times last season and that was the only deer I saw all season.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good morning Rancocas.

Your story rings true to most of us. I think each of us have had similar experiences. I know that I can admit to it happening to me on more than one occasion. If you hunt thick woods, it is likely to happen more than we wish it to.

Enjoying the story,
DanL

God bless America and Alba Gu Brath!

Posts: 567 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Rancocas, I'm glad you made it out of the dark with your wife. My bad days are more recent and no hunting because I stopped hunting 6 years ago.

We just self quarantined for 2020 and never went out that much. And when we did it wasn't around crowds. We got all our shots, masked up and were careful. 2021 & 2022 we did get out more and still used our masks. And then 2023 came loping along and it all changed. My wife had a stroke and had to go to the hospital, she's much better now and it's looking good. But providence wasn't through with us that easily. A few weeks later we both came down with covid. Being vaccinated made a major difference for both of us but especially for me. I'm immune compromised so was allowed to take Paxlovid to keep it from getting serious. My wife came through it better than I did. It was bad juju but I think flu would have been worse in my case. It did leave me weak as a baby and interfered with my infusions; I am scheduled to start back Tuesday. But I found out that covid is no joke and realized I could have easily ended up on a ventilator. It was still awful though.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hanshi; I'm glad to hear that your wife is doing better. I wish both of you well.

Covid affected different people in different ways. My wife and I were never concerned about it. We did the vaccine one time. We both got Covid, but with us it was no worse than a slight cold.

Right now all I have to complain about is a swollen right ear. I got poked in that ear a week ago with a stick when I was in the woods. It got infected. Looks awful and feels worse. But, that is minor stuff.

The 45th annual Tennessee/Kentucky Rifle Show is coming up on April 21-22 just a little north of Knoxville. I'm looking forward to it.