MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Hunting    Hudson Valley Fowler Strikes Again!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hudson Valley Fowler Strikes Again!
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Hunts4Deer
posted
Saturday morning (Nov 7) we headed back to McKee Beshers for Squirrel. My wife and daughter and I all headed to our favorite squirrel spots. These are the places we sit for deer and get run over by squirrels all morning. But of course, squirrels know when your hunting them! After a while a light rain began. I got under some young trees that still held a lot of leaves and stayed pretty dry. I kept my lock under my jacket, (or armpit when walking), and managed to keep the pan dry. I got three squirrels by mid morning. My daughter got one with a modern .410 with full choke. My wife never did connect. She was carrying her 20 gauge Centermark Fusil de Chasse. I had my 56" barrel 12 gauge Ken Gahagan Hudson Valley Fowling Piece. So last night we had squirrel pot roast made with wine and onions.

I used 90 grains FFG, two durofelt wool wads, 1 1/4 ounce #6, then a well lubricated full size 1/2 inch fiber wad OVER the shot. I read about that method on another forum, and I must say, it works! That load was dropping them dead, even a 20 yards. When I cleaned the squirrels, I found all my lead shots perfectly round with zero deformation. My daughter's squirrel had #6 shot too, but they were all dented and deformed.

In the photo: Bague Harold shot bag, Danny Eisenhower french style powder horn (French pulvern style), Home made shot snake, using a Spark Mumma turned spout, a game bag I picked up at Fort Frederick Market Fair, the Ken Gahagan Fowler, and of course, three Maryland squirrels. It was a fun morning for all!

If you right-click on the photo and select "Open image in new tab" you will get a larger image to view.

John
Vive le Roy!

Hudson Valley Fowler and Squirrels

Posts: 513 | Location: Colony of Maryland | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Great job on those squirrels. That's a very nice gun, too.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great time was had by all!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good job.....Smiler

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
quote:
But of course, squirrels know when your hunting them!

We only have reds in this area but I agree 100%. Looks like you had a great day! Beautiful gun too!

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Good shooting with a beautiful gun

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Cado
posted Hide Post
Makes me want to go...good job

Posts: 617 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Good looking gun!Sounds like it was a good hunt.

Posts: 64 | Location: piney woods of east texas | Registered: 23 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post