With fours to do the trick,
Measured very carefully
With wadding not too thick,
And priming just enough
To set 'er off with sparks,
Whilst sighting 'crost the turtle . . .
Thus will end his foxy larks . . .

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Really well written Sticks thanks for sharing.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Talltree
posted Hide Post
Ya know Sticks, I have had a certain Fox dude that lives near the castle and he has been at the end of my ML barrel several times. I have even set my trigger, but never touched it off. I can't take his hide, I find it more enjoyable to watch him rather than end it for him. When I was young it would not have been an issue, now that I am older life means more, even if it's not my own.

Talltree

Keep your tail high and dry!
---Especially you fox--

Posts: 173 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Thanks BCR. You're mighty kind.

I hear ya, 'Tree. I don't kill anything for no reason. Obviously you don't either. Age helps along that line, doesn't it? I've had those foxes around me two at a time and just watched them. Especially the one in the poem that was whuffing so loudly and coarsely. Finally shot one at a later date, and immediately regretted it.

Seems I'd like a fur, though, now, and maybe try my hand at smoke tanning. If I change my mind about that I won't harm a hair on their noggins.

Fiddlesticks

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hiya 'Sticks!

You must be in the running' fer another Poet Lauriate award! That is nice piece of writing.

Aint heard one "awhuffing", just giving that cat-like cry of a yelping yeow. We have a pretty redfox coming around here and it visits the horses regular. Out at our place in the bush we saw cross, reds and silver foxes almost daily. Use to tease'm in close with a squeaker out of a dog toy.

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Howdy 'Fox!

Yeah, that beat all I ever heard. It had a depth of growl mixed in into the 'whuff' that was kin to a large boar hog's grunt, but there was also a rasp to it. I never would've believed it was a fox if I hadn't stood there under a tree and watched it with my own two eyes. When I heard it coming the last thing on earth I expected was a grey fox.

We don't seem to have many red foxes anymore. Used to see as many of them as greys. Don't know if I could shoot one: too plumatiously beautiful.

I like those littler squeakers. Been aiming to put one in the end of a cowhorn and make a call just for the novelty of it.

Fiddlesticks

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good poem 'Sticks. Enjoyed it thoroughly. I also would like a fox on the wall. I have a 'yote right now that looks pretty impressive, but a fox, coon and Beaver would make that wall even more impressive...and I'm working on that.

That little call you speak of...out of a squeaky toy istalled in a horn...is exactly what I have on my call lanyard. It is a smallish call, only 2" long. I carved a mouthpiece that I can hold in my teeth. I use it when the critter gets close and I need both hands for other duties.

Good luck with you future calling and I hope you get a good one to put up. It'll make your home a little warmer too...at least I think so.

L8R...Ken

Posts: 403 | Location: In the Hardwoods of Eastern Iowa | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I live in a quiet subdivision and we were over run with red foxes. They were bold and I'd seen them on a neighbor's back porch and in the open during the day. They were also accused of taking kitty cats though I can't testify to the truth of that claim.

Pest control was called over (not us, by the way even though one nipped my little dog's ear). Traps were set and in the end at least ten foxes were caught. The trappers swore that the foxes would not be killed but would be released on private land a good distance away; I truly hope we were told the truth. Haven't seen any since but sorta miss them.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Doggies Skunkie! - and here I thought the 'squeaky-horn' would be my invention! Haw! Way to go!

Mrs. Sticks would throw me out of the house and roll me all the way to the town square (I roll easily and it's mostly downhill) if I tried to put a critter hide on the wall. She'll get in there elbow deep and help me butcher a deer but I'd better not come in the house with a fur-for-the-wall. Rats.

I hear you on the coon. Kinda like that better than the fox because I'll eat the coon plus dress the fur. Say, have you tried calling coons, any? There are fellers what call 'em out of den trees in broad daylight. Twixt now and March 31 I'm gonna give that a try . . .

Hope you get your other furs.

Fiddlesticks

Free Trapper
Picture of Talltree
posted Hide Post
Hey Sticks, I hear that if you sound like a fish (or is that smell like a fish) and are shinny, those coons come-a-runnin! Wink

Talltree

Posts: 173 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Haw! 'Tree, I smell like lots of things, they tell me. I might try to imitate a fish. There oughta be a way . . .

As for being shiny, I ain't all that bright.

Thanks for the good idees!

Stinkin'likefish'sticks

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sticks...I have tried calling coons a time or two but with no luck to speak of. I once called a grey squirrel out of a (den) hole with a coon squaller call...but no coons yet.

I have read a few articles, mostly on trapper web sites, about guys using electronic calls with great sucess....somtimes taking multiple coons at one set or as many as 30 in a day. That sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe some day I will get one of those E-callers, but for now, I have my 'mouth' calls and I'm trying to master them.

Ya know, a nice coon skin (or mink or muskrat or beaver) coat for your wife might help you hang some fur on the wall. All you have to do is catch enough for that coat and then sew it up. Or not.

L8R...Ken

Posts: 403 | Location: In the Hardwoods of Eastern Iowa | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Drat. You've dug me out. I got one of them e-callers for Christmas. Then got sick and haven't got to use it, yet. Now waiting on the right weather; much too windy today. I dunno: called coyotes, turkeys, squirrels, deer with my own voice or squealing off the ball o' my thumb. Got a good mouth call or two. Now here's this new-fangled thing. And a struggle in my conscience over whether to use it with a flintlock. Don't seem right somehow. On t'other hand I don't think I can mimic the young coon squeal for callin' coons out of den trees. But I wanna shoot one with my English fowler. Ain't it awful to be so weighed down? Sniff . . . a turrible burden to carry . . .

Whadda you think?

Newfangled'sticks

Free Trapper
Picture of Talltree
posted Hide Post
Sticks, if you are concerned about using a e-call and shooting with a flinter here is something to try. Listen very carefuly to the e-call and learn to mimic the call, then go out and practice, practice, & practice and before long you to will hopefuly sound as your e-call. Remember our ancestors didn't use e-calls. Besides you may call in a old coon other than yourself! Big Grin

Talltree

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I hear ya Fiddlesticks. It's a delema that all of us face. Even squirrel hunting...I find it a bit troublesome to go out in full, modern camo outer wear toting a flint lock and carring a horn and bag o' gear to the woods. Almost an oxymoron.

But, this here's the 21st century. I suppose it could be called hanging on the the old times and with the working progress. Just can't overlook the new stuff...such improvments as we have now, but still, a good old flinter takes you back a few year (centuries) to where we would like to be.

Good luck with that new E-caller. I hope you get that old coon outa that tree. And with a flinter, it'll be another memory to file away and call up again and relive sometime in the future.

I've got a hankerin' for some rabbit and I want to try this weekend. Now I'm torn between whether to take my smooth bore (for those runnin' away shots), my .36 and try to sneak close in enough or take my scope mounted .22 modern gun (for those long shots). All this nice fresh snow will help me see them critters and it's supposed to be sunny and 25* Saturday afernoon...them bunnies might just be out sunning themselves and making a good target (but for which gun?!?!).

Decision, decisions, decisions...guess I'll wait til Saturday morning to make my choice.

L8R...Ken

Factor
posted Hide Post
'Tree there ain't no coons as old as THIS'UN! Y'know I got out that walnut mouth call which has a squealer built in to it. I listened to the e-caller young coon distress, then puckered up to the mouth call and by flutterin' my epiglioppas (?) - that hangy-down-flappy-thing in your throat - and kinda growling a little with it, why dogged if I didn't come up with somethin' similar! Mrs. Sticks said it was pretty good . . . but then she ain't no coon . . .

Went to the thicket this evening but the fox warn't there. Called up nothing but nosey ol' crows. A hawk, too, I think. Started with the mouth call, then switched to the e-caller--a man just has to try it, y'know. I rabbited, and woodpeckered, and some others to no avail. Saw six deer, though.

Good luck on the rabbits, Skunk'!

Fiddlesticks

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Too bad you couldn't find that crafty fox. You might have to try that old walnut call of yours around a big old knotty oak to see if there's a coon hiding in there. They say you need to be ready cause them coons sometime come flying outa that hole and run right at ya. That's why some guys carry a shotgun with them.

Went walking around Saturday afternoon. Didn't see a single rabbit. Saw some tracks in the snow, which was encouraging, but no bun-buns. Maybe next weekend.

Good luck on your fox (or coon) Sticks.

L8R...Ken

Free Trapper
Picture of Talltree
posted Hide Post
"Sticks"
I even heard that the reason "Davy Crockett" wore a coon skin hat,was to help in foolin those crafty coons into coming close enough for a shot. Maybe if you did the same it might help. Just watch out, those coons might just be "Death from Above" comming from a tree and for those foxy Fox's try the fox skin hat and maybe it might work on them also. Just watch your 6 so they don't come up from behind and get amorous!

If nothing else, you would be "stiling" with those skin hats Wink

Talltree

---especially if your wearing a coon/fox hat---

Factor
posted Hide Post
Skunk' you've jittered me into upping my load on ol' Bull-Stout the tenner!

'Tree, way I heard it was ol' Davy grinned them coons out. Must've had a mouthful of pearly-whites. I might fail there.

I heard about a fella what glared at 'em till he uglyed 'em to death. Said his wife was pretty good at it too, but she tore the meat up too bad. Reckon I'd be somewhere atwixt her and Davy. I'll stick with my call - for safety y'now, and to protect the fur and meat.

Hoo-hawin'sticks

Free Trapper
Picture of Talltree
posted Hide Post
"Sticks"
I have another idea---we all know how the Foxers will go after our feathered friend the chicken(Fox in the hen house). How about putting a chicken on your head and then clucking like a chicken. This may work in calling in those crafty Foxers!

This is a twofold issue----the chicken can be used as a decoy, and then Mrs. Sticks can fry it up later. Or to save on the chicken, you could go to KFC and steal one of their hats and use it!

What do you say "Drumsticksaclucking" Big Grin
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH did I really say that??????

Talltree