New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Enough for hunting?
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
I am curious I worked up a hunting load for my smoothbore - it is very accurate - 75 grs Battle Powder, .600 prb with a .015 pillow ticking patch - I fired this target off hand at approx 35 yds and I was pleased with it.

Think this load would be accurate - hard hitting enough for an elk or buffalo?

I fired 6 rds 5 in the 10 ring and one in the 8 ring was a mistake in sighting from me

"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Posts: 516 | Location: Ft Parker/Ft Manuel Lisa | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty loose group! Keep practicing it'll come!

Tony

Posts: 349 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 14 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I will keep shooting - as I get more used to a smoothbore with no rear sight perhaps the group will tighten up

"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Posts: 516 | Location: Ft Parker/Ft Manuel Lisa | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
You do realize, of course, that some of us, ahem, can't do any better even with a rifle and would love to get consistent groups like that. Frowner

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
Excellent shooting...keep up the good work.
Only things that come to my mind from using my own smoothbores are distance and powder charge.
For example, while 35-50yds is pretty close to average for my shots in thick woods deer hunting, given the game you mentioned, is that yardage realistic or might a 50-60 zero be better for hunting;

And the thought about the powder charge would be related to trajectory / distance / energy...personal choice is I subscribe to the thinking that I'd rather have more velocity / energy and not need it, than need it and not have it.
For example, doing load development in my own .62cal as I was stepping up the powder scale, the faster I pushed them the more accurate they were, and when I hit 110grns Goex 2F, the shots suddenly started making a 'crack' sound and the group size shrunk in half at 50yds. (110grns Goex 2F / .022" patch / .600" ball / .620" bore)

Anyhow, food for thought...you obviously shoot very well as is

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Roundball - My smoothbore is a light smoothbore fowling piece and 75 grs gives me a good recoil as it is - 100 grs would really thump me I think.

Dan'l

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
Got it...I should have connected the dots when you mentioned no rear sight, sorry.
I had mine built as an Early Virginia smoothrifle with rear sight...weighs close to 9 lbs with the brass ramrod I added...soaks up recoil very well of course

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
Picture of MedicineSoldier
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember that you were pretty good with your smoothbore with whatever your old load was as well.

I used my Fusil-de-Chasse in 2004 to take a spike elk using a .595 round ball of WW lead and 70 grains of 3F at about 40 yards. So I would say that within the limits you stated it would do for elk. Can't really say for buffalo.

Medicine Soldier

Posts: 219 | Location: Black Hills of SD | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Swanny
posted Hide Post
It'd do the job nicely for Wapiti, caribou or black bear. It would likely kill a bison if the shot were well placed. You'd be doing some tracking, but it would eventually get the job done.

“A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other.” (William Francis Butler)

Posts: 28 | Location: Two Rivers, Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MedicineSoldier:
I seem to remember that you were pretty good with your smoothbore with whatever your old load was as well.

I used my Fusil-de-Chasse in 2004 to take a spike elk using a .595 round ball of WW lead and 70 grains of 3F at about 40 yards. So I would say that within the limits you stated it would do for elk. Can't really say for buffalo.

Medicine Soldier

Thanks I am trying very hard to get better so I can perhaps take on a buffalo here in SD - the end of the summer if I can work it out financially

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I only hope I will be able to shoot that well with my smoothbore, when it arrives. I have no experience with elk or buffalo so what I am going to say is worth what you paid for it. On animals of this size I don't believe one can have too much power. If you handle the recoil of a few more grains of powder without losing accuracy go for it.

Posts: 90 | Location: WV | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
As Hanshi said above I wish my rifle groups were that tight. Nice shooting in my book.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Went out with smoothbore for another practice session - I wanted to see how the groups opened up as I stepped it back I fired 6 shots - results on score were 56 out of 60.

1st shot - 25 yds - 10 ring
2nd shot - 30 yds - 10 ring
3rd shot - 35 yds - 10 ring
4th shot - 40 yds - 10 ring
5th shot - 45 yds - 8 ring
6th shot - 50 yds - 8 ring (shots touching)

It is more difficult as I step back for the sight picture as my barrel almost covers the 8 inch target

There was some vertical stringing on the 4 shots but the group measured less than 2" and the two shots were good for windage but all the shots were less than 4". With this grouping out to 50 yds I would feel very comfortable shooting deer, or elk for that matter

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Shoot at your comfort level(range) and there will be a grinning picture in our future!

Posts: 122 | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post