New
Find
Notify
Tools

ANTLERS!!!
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
I'm starting to see ANTLERS!!! First one of the year yesterday, a nice buck in my field that is already over his ears, forking brow tines and nice, thick bases. Four more in a neighbor's field later that evening, all just as nice.

Even with one of my two tags left, I think I'm over turkeys for the year. Already working on food plots for the fall, mowing clover and spreading lime to sweeten it up. Smiler

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
I seen a buck the other morning going to work and it already was above the ears and looked as if starting to curve a bit. I hope they all grow thick and wide

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Summer's not even here yet and I'm anticipating deer season! Spring turkey was a bust as I was not able to get out again. Just twice got out after them and the second time was sooooo promising. I knew the third time would be a charm. But it was not to be.

With the crispness of late summer and early fall in my mind, I feel I should hurry up and get ready. Squirrel first, yippee, then deer/bear/fall turkey to look forward to. Who knows, maybe, just maybe...?

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
The young bachelors that hang out with our "breakfast club"(the resident herd in our little village) are starting to grow antlers too.Some of the little beggars are even acting "bucky"...

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I had a bachelor herd of 6 nice bucks in the field the other night, all out to their ear tips already, brow tines, some points. One was 8 points already and they've got six weeks of growing ahead yet! Last night I went with the binocs for a better look, but all does came out, 9 of them feeding and bedding in my clover/chicory plot.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Hmmm,I'm assuming you use the Eastern convention of counting total number of tines,out here we'd call that a four pointer...Haven't seen any of that size yet,but they're here.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hanshi:
Summer's not even here yet and I'm anticipating deer season! Spring turkey was a bust as I was not able to get out again. Just twice got out after them and the second time was sooooo promising. I knew the third time would be a charm. But it was not to be.

With the crispness of late summer and early fall in my mind, I feel I should hurry up and get ready. Squirrel first, yippee, then deer/bear/fall turkey to look forward to. Who knows, maybe, just maybe...?

Same here Hanshi! I never got to go out during the spring turkey season due to work and/or weather. So now I'm anxious for the fall seasons to start up. Went driving up into the woods where I shot last year's buck and the wife and I saw a huge cow elk that just stood there in the timber watching us about 50 yards off. Now I have elk on the mind! Lol.

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post