New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer Season
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I'm done, even though deer season continues until January 6th.
I've hunted from my "home blind" in the 90 acre woodlot across the street. I've hunted from my "river blind" along the Tennessee River. And, I've roamed the mountains in the nearby Cherokee National Forest.
An awful lot of rain this year sometimes interfered with my hunt, but I had some great adventures. Lost in the fog on the river. Fell in the creek.
All that I have seen are does, and even though they are legal game I determined that this year I would hold out for a buck with 6 points or more. All together I could legally take 2 bucks and 3 does, but I only wanted one deer. Not this year.
I also saw some signs of wild pigs, but not the live critters. And, so sign whatsoever of bears this year.
I put up my guns now until after the holidays. Then, in January, I will do some squirrel hunting while scouting out the big game hideouts for next year, and also watch for signs of turkey for the spring hunt.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have things all worked out. I think I will try some squirrel hunting myself. Markh

Posts: 164 | Location: Burlington, Wisconsin | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Speaking of falling in creeks, I have one tale to relate. The victim was NOT me but a close friend who sadly passed on quite a few years ago.

We hunted together a lot and shared many adventures. On one nice day down in Georgia, he had gone across a creek on a log in order to hunt the other area. Now November and December in Georgia can be anywhere from 60 degrees to 80 degrees. There are occasional brief "cold snaps", however. Well, my friend did kill a small doe; and did not want to wade the creek and get soaked. So he finally decided to carry the deer across the creek by using the log again. The log was a rather large one and wasn't problematic to use as a crossing route. With deer, half dragged and half carried, rifle and accoutrements and "himself" started easing across. He got near the middle when he, deer and rifle plunged into the creek. Soaked but no worse for wear, he went home with his sorely earned deer. And yes, I teased him mercilessly over the next few years.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Last blackpowder deer hunt of the year tonight. Frowner Final day of our late gun season, got out for a last night sit in a favorite stand. Beautiful night, even say a few deer. Two yearlings came out late, then the bigger does just before shooting time ended. Enough light left to see the bigger does, but not enough to see the front sight. Oh well. Time to clean the deer rifle and put it up until next year.

Do have a few weeks of bow season left, still a chance at some freezer meat yet...

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
2018 ended badly for me. On December 29th I had to put down my best friend and companion of 16 years. Dixie Dog.
Dixie was a German Shepard mix, not a hunting dog, but I remember her chasing a wild pig one time and they came upon a black bear. Dixie immediately turned and came back to me, putting me between her and the bear. Pigs are one thing, but she knew that she didn't want to mess with a bear. lol.
I miss her.

It appears that finally this week we will get a break from the rain. Sunny, but a little cooler days are predicted. I haven't felt like doing much of anything lately. However, I hope to perk up and get out into the woods for squirrels and some scouting this week.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
All good companions wait at the Rainbow Bridge.
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart. And you cross the bridge together.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I should have quite a pack of dogs waiting for me. I hope so.

Factor
posted Hide Post
So I got lucky on Sunday morning. I had spooked several doe moving into position, and then at about 7:55 I could see through the hedge about 30 feet to the South of the defunct grape vines where I was standing, a small, straggler doe moving toward the old vineyard. She came through the hedge at about 33 yards from me and I took a shoulder shot, offhand (I don't like that position but it was all I could do I such quick notice).

She was small, but on the morning of the last day you take what you're blessed with and say, "Thank You!".

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Last Day Doe

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Way to go LD!!!! Congrats

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Very good show! You can't eat an empty shooting bag, but that venison....

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good job! For my table I would rather shoot a yearling doe over any buck out there, preferably with momma's milk still on her lips! The only reason I would want horns is for making stuff! Big nasty bucks are only for bragging rights in my opinion.

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yup,good evaluation....Antlers are useful, but tasty meat is good too.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post