New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer Season
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Firearms season here in MD opens next weekend, Saturday after Thanksgiving. Doesn't anybody out there have an open season yet? Who's been burning powder on 'em?!?!

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I've been hunting big game for several weeks.
Tomorrow is the closing day for muzzleloader deer, but I will continue with my muzzleloaders throughout all the big game seasons.
Lots of heavy rain has raised the creeks. I can't get to one of my blinds because I normally cross the creek on a beaver dam, but that whole area is flooded now. In other areas I've seen does. I'm holding out for a buck and so have let the does walk past. I can take more, but I only want one deer. I still have until January to get my venison.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Didn't get a chance to get out....well that's a lie, on the day I did have the chance, it was pouring rain, so not so good with a flintlock.

The Good News IS...the poacher on the northern portion of the property has moved on. I guess he "broke up" with the lady who owns the property that borders the Northern border of the land where I hunt, so he hasn't set up a stand, or put out bait. (He had a propensity to put up the stand as well as to place the bait on the wrong side of the fence line...ignoring the fluorescent blue markers too.)

Plus the landowner has done some scouting as have I and there are several doe and a pair of 4-point bucks loitering on the property.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Season started here 27 Oct,runs to first week in December,rained the first week,now we have 5" new fluffy snow.Went out once last year and not at all this year,fire just isn't there,The Great Factor called most of the old crew home. Retired twice,survived Cancer, I can hunt all day, all season,living in the middle of nowhere on 35 acres.Just not there anymore,time to move on,build furniture,set by the stove and think back on the bygone days.Best of luck to all,who ever gets to Point a la Barbe first put the coffee on, build up the fire.. See you up the trail,if your in the lead don't spit,drink up stream from the herd.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I heard Ol' Gabe (Jim Bridger) spent his last days sitting in the woodlot behind his daughter's house. He was blind, but liked to sit and listen to the woodland creatures all day. In the evenings his daughter would fetch him home.

The water level in the creeks 'round here has dropped some. I can cross the creek again. Gotta take it slow and easy on those slippery logs. I use a staff to help with my balance as I go across. One bad fall could do me in.
Sat in my "home blind" last evening until it was too dark to see my gunsights. No deer. Had a squirrel almost jump in my lap.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Getting close enough we can check the weather now. Awesome, bitter cold weather most of Thanksgiving week before the season, then going up into the 60's with showers for opening weekend. Frowner

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
This morning lots of deer out in the fields. Saw two bucks in different spots along my route, and lots of does. I like the damp..., makes me quiet when I creep, and keeps my scent down.

I'm "on call" for my office all weekend, so I fully expect to be just drawing down on a nice, fat doe, or even a young buck, and the cell phone will buzzzzz.

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I shot one deer this year with my flintlock. It came out around sunset opening day at about 80 yards. .480 ball knocked it off its feet. The only down side is I thought it was a doe and found it was a small spike. I watched a few does the other day and let them go. I smoked a coyote a few minutes later though. I hate coyotes!

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yeah Buddy!

I have special custom conicals for my .40 just for coyotes. Luckily the pair down here got taken out, and we haven't had a problem recently.

LD

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hiya fellas! Went out Sunday on a friends property, where he had taken a nice size 3x3 on Saturday. He told me that at least 4 more bucks were in the area, a couple of 3x3's and a couple of forks.

Found 12 does and one forked buck in the neighbors field. Started grunting and rattling, but the buck was happy where he was. Then 3 'yotes came across the field and chased off some of the does.

The forked buck and a doe headed my way. They jumped over the fence about a 100 yards away a disappeared in to the woodlot. Then a doe followed by a fork/spike buck came into view in the woods. Took some waiting but the buck finally cleared the trees enough to get a 40 yard shot with my 45cal flinter(70grs 3ff leather patched 120gr ball).

The buck isn't huge but is meat hanging for winter meals.

Keep an eye to the ridgeline 'n'......yor knife sharp!

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Grats on the spike. They may be small, but they are good eating.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Woods Loper and Crossfox.

Well, it finally happened. No not a deer. I made a big splash.
I was midway across the creek, heading for my "home blind". I had my long rifle in my left hand and a long staff in my right to act as a third leg and aid my balance. My shot bag and powder horn were over my shoulder. I stepped onto an 8 inch thick log that I had stepped on many times before, but this time when I put my weight on it there was a very audible "snap". The old log broke in two and I tumbled to my right. SPLASH!
The next thing I knew was that I was sitting in the mud on the creek bottom with water up to my neck.
I climbed out and hurried home. After a quick hot shower I pulled the ball and then took my rifle completely apart to dry it out. I hung up my bag and horn, but they will wait until tomorrow before I clean them out. I hope my horn kept the powder dry.

I've fallen in icy streams in Pennsylvania. I fell through the ice on a Michigan swamp. I took an unexpected muddy wallow in the Colorado River in Arizona, and have had many other watery mishaps. I doubt that the splash I made today will be my last.

No more hunting for me, now, until after Thanksgiving.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, everyone.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Well, ya gotta take a bath ONCE in a while,lol.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but I prefer to do it in July or August. Smiler

I cleaned, oiled, and put my rifle back together this morning. It is fine in spite of yesterday's dunking. My horn kept the powder dry, much to my happy surprise. I only ruined some percussion caps that were in the capper in my bag - and a soggy candybar.
Pizza tonight after my 2nd daughter and her husband get here, down from Michigan. Turkey and all the trimmings tomorrow at 1st daughter's house, just down the road a few miles.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Booshway
posted Hide Post
So I am standing looking out the window, drinking coffee and two big does walk across my yard,stop, eat awhile and move on.No Any deer permit and pulled the charge yesterday.Timing it's all about timing.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
At least it was fresh water, when I go in it's always in salt water and the rust issues are much more interesting. Smiler

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I'm still going at it.

I had my trail camera set to watch a spot near my "home blind" where the deer cross the creek. Last Thursday at about 10 in the morning the camera recorded two does, tails up in full flight as they crossed the creek. I wasn't there and I have no idea what may have spooked them.

Then, about 3:15 in the afternoon, that same day, the camera took a picture of one of the 6 point bucks that I know inhabits the area. One picture of him, barely inside the bounds of the camera picture. Then he is gone.

I went to my blind that day about 3:30 PM and sat there until dark without seeing anything. I missed seeing that buck by only 10 or 15 minutes. I think it probably heard me coming.

It has now been pouring down rain here for two days. This is the same storm that buried North Carolina under the snow, but here west of the mountains it is rain. The creek water has risen again, so now, once again, I cannot cross the creek to get to my "home blind".

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I got out a lot the second week of gun season here, passed a lot of smaller bucks, saw the BIG boy one night but he was 250 yards in the field and I had the flintlock. Did shoot an average 9pt one evening, but was toting the .270 that night. Great Uncle's old rifle, I always try and kill a deer with it each year in his memory. On now to two weeks of late MZ starting next Saturday.

Snowing pretty good here now, but it's Sunday and we can't hunt today. Frowner

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Deer season still on here in Arkansas. Don't have the fire for dragging them out anymore. Effort would probably kill me. OTOH, almost any time I would want to all I have to do is open my back door and shoot. Our yard is a wildlife sanctuary. No sport in doing it that way.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Been out for the last two nights for muzzleloader. Nothing the first night, does and small bucks tonight. Got two nice ones showing up now and then I'm waiting on, another week and a half to try...