New
Find
Notify
Tools

patched or bare ball
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
I have a 24 gauge fowler that shoots well with a load of 70 grains of 3f, an over powder card with two mink oil lubed wool wads, and a .562 ball patched with a .012 mink oiled cotton patch. I have ordered some .570 swedged ball that should be here soon. I wanted to try a more traditional load of tow wadding over and under the ball. In yall's experience what kind of accuracy can I expect? My "tow" is actually hemp twine shredded up into soft fiber.

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of JoeM
posted Hide Post
Accuracy is a good question, but in my opinion the old smooth bore is something a person has to work at until they find what they feel they can except and work with for what their intended usage is going to be...

I know smooth bore shooters who can really give a person with a rifle a run for their money out to 25 & 40 (sometimes 50) yards and then after that the advantage goes to the Riflemen, and most the time before that as well. This is just what I've noticed over the years...

Now a tight patched ball should give you better accuracy - (or even an easily loaded patched ball), and the tow is really just to hold a loose fitting ball in place without a patch - and the ball will (for lack of a better word) bounce down the bore until it exists. IMHO, you can't really control your accuracy with tow...

Just my opinion - and although I shoot a smooth bore as well - I don't think a person can effectively call their shot like they can with a rifle.

Good luck and have fun with it - because they are lot's of fun to shoot!!! Smiler

Ohio Joe / Chadron Fur Trade Days

Posts: 69 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
My most accurate load is a .600" ball (mine's a 20ga) with a .012" to .015" lubed patch over either 70 or 75 grains of 3F. With a larger ball I've gotten deer-killing accuracy with the .606" WW ball seated between a lubed felt or cushion wad and a card wad. The only way to know for sure is to try them out.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post