MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Hunting    Reactive targets on shooting range
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reactive targets on shooting range
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Tell us about the types and construction of your reactive shooting targets.

One type of target that I have are some swinging gongs constructed from scrap steel, old plow discs and old circular "Skill" saw blades.

The scrap steel and plow discs hold up well with .45 and larger calibers. The circular saw blades hold up better with calibers .40 and below but they typically do not last long due to metal fatigue Eeker.

Typically, we make a rack and hang the targets from chains or wide belting rubber. The belting rubber is bolted to a frame with a 6" - 10" wide strip a foot or so long and then bolted to the target material. The rubber belt soaks up a lot of missed shots and hold up well. It also swings nicely allowing lead to be deflected to the ground and not back at the shooting bench/hut.

The targets either ring when hit or provide a loud SMACK to let you know that you have a hit.

DanL

God bless America and Alba Gu Brath!

Posts: 569 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I once picked up a number of iron plates off an old RR track. They're the iron plates that go between the ties and the rails. They were tapered but at the thickest part was at least 1/2" or thicker. I welded flat strips on the bottoms so they would set well on a 2"X 4" sort of like a silhouette range. Easy to knock over but not hard enough for bolt cartridge rifles.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post