flintlock
Percussion-same calibers
Smoothbore
.20ga
.16ga
.12ga
Other

Question:
What gun/calibers will you use for large game, small and varmints? Vote as many times as you like.

Choices:
Flintlock & caliber/large game - .40 to .62
Flintlock & caliber/small game - .32 to ?
Percussion & caliber/large game - .40 to ?
Percussion & caliber/small game - .32 to .62
Smoothbore & caliber/large game - .40 to .62
Smoothbore & caliber/small game - shot to .62 ba;;

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I think you need to get more specific.
Large game of the deer type, or elk, or black bear, or moose, or ...? And, narrow down the caliber range. .40 to .62 for large game covers too much territory.
I hunt whitetailed deer, black bear, and feral pigs with a .50 percussion rifle, but I could also do it with my .62 smoothbore flintlock. I know David Crockett killed a lot of black bears with a .40 flintlock rifle, but that is far too light in my opinion. I would prefer a .54, or even better, a .58 if I were going after moose.
Although I have a .32 percussion rifle I prefer my .62 smoothbore flintlock for squirrels, and of course for turkey.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I admit I screwed up the poll because I'm a tyro at that sort of thing and it didn't turn out as I had hoped. Still, it's an interesting exercise in establishing gun/game preferences.

I will rely on my .50 flinter as the primary deer getter with my .62 flintlock smoothbore and .45 flintlock standing in line.

Small game it's my .36 SMR flintlock with the .32 flintlock at second base.

I'll be hunting deer in WV as well as VA. I'll carry two with me to WV.

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I will be shooting a .54 flintlock rifle for Deer next week. Otherwise I will use one of two 20 gauge smoothies for squirrel and rabbits.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
I will be sticking with my .50 percussion this year.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
We don't get started until Nov. 4th. And my .62 smoothbore loaded with ball will be in the crook of my arm. For squirrelies, it'll be my .36 SMR.

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I will be using a Flintlock .50 Pa longrifle.

Posts: 101 | Location: Davidsville , PA | Registered: 10 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nifty fifty in flintlock!

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Father got me started with Flintlocks as a young boy. Cant put them down. Have several nice percussion guns that I have only target shot with. Have not taken them hunting yet. Just something about flint striking steel!

Posts: 101 | Location: Davidsville , PA | Registered: 10 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I was self taught and developed my BP interest honestly. I was raised by my grandmother and nobody had any real interest in guns.