New
Find
Notify
Tools

2021 Plans???
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Anybody have any big plans for hunting this fall? Trips? Special seasons?

I have a coveted Iowa tag that just arrived, heading out first week of December for first shotgun season to hunt with a buddy on his farm, both of us using flintlocks of course. Always exciting to head to the land of giants. Hoping for a Maryland bear tag for late October again, draw for that is early September. Always the remote chance of PA elk if the hunt gods smile upon me. Have 13 points for that one built up, but so do 30,000 other hopeful hunters. All the normal Maryland hunts around home, too, highlights for flintlock are the October 3 day muzzleloader season for the sika rut and the recent addition of an early February primitive weapon season.

Only two months until the first seasons open, gonna be here fast!

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to build up my strength and stamina from my bout with cancer, so I don't know how much I will be able to do. But, I am gonna try!

For deer hunting, I will be using my local blind just a 1/4 mile from my house. Already my trail cam has caught pictures of a buck. His antlers are growing, but the bases look thick and heavy so ---.
Also, I want to get up into the mountains again. Deer are widely scattered throughout the Cherokee National Forest, but there are some good bucks back among those hills. I have several remote areas in mind and probably in August I will begin scouting to get an idea on which areas I want to concentrate on. It is rough country and I hope that I will able to do it. It will have to be a pack-in and overnight camp out.

I am also thinking of making a grouse hunt up in Michigan. I would drop my wife off at our daughter's house up there, then take off for a week or so into the wilds of northern Michigan. We lived up there for 14 years before I retired.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Can't say for sure if I'll get out at all, but it's a bit more likely than not that I will mosey through the bush. Put my name in the "any deer" lottery and the drawing is September. The last two or three times I did get drawn for my area. I no longer get up early to make the woods, so I'll sleep in and get out about mid morning; it's not far at all, only some 12 minutes from the house. Lots of bear but I don't think I could make myself shoot one; I think it would leave me depressed if I did. But who knows what will happen. Although I no longer care to shoot at live targets Something exciting/special may occur that requires me to reevaluate. I just like being out and enjoying the solitude and maybe spotting interesting wildlife. I don't think I'll be going out on opening day since there's more chance of running across another human. But you can believe I'll check my rifles loads, sights and make sure they are spot on just in case.

Got two rifles never christened, my lightweight .50 flintlock longrifle and my recently Hoyt converted-from-.40-to-.45 flint longrifle. If I get out then one of them will get lucky right off the bat. The other will be next batter in line. Thought about using my flint smoothbore again but I want to give the others a chance to perhaps collect venison.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
If my body holds out I might make it to the edge of the swamp, about 1/4 mile from the back door. Last year somebody put up a tent type of blind about 50 yards from where I have hunted for the past 20 years or so. May have to bring a few cans of sardines for lunch. I hope it doesn't attract some bears!

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hanshi I resemble that quote! My work season ends in early October every year and I ALWAYS know just how many work days left until it's over and I can hunt every day. Currently at 57 and a wake up. Smiler

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Cool pic, Hanshi.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I thought the meme was adorable.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Scheeeoooot!

I'm might low on venison.

for another part of this forum I'm going to use my larding needle and lard up a roast. Larding is adding internal fat to a lean roast. Not done much these days due to corn fed beef..., I digress...,

So am working out and got new doctor prescribed arch supports so I can hike about the woods. I'm going to need two doe this year.

SAW a gorgeous 6-point in velvet on the way to work this morning. Saw him yesterday morning too, with this pals Spike and his other pal Spike. PROBLEM is That they live in a field/woods adjacent to a water tower owned by the Public School system..., which is considered "school property", so even IF I got permission from the land owner, I'm too close to "school property".

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yup, they know. I've been saying, for a long time, that we are breeding smarter deer with our hunting practices, lol.

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
That a local rule up your way Dave? Only state rule I know of in MD is 150 yards away from an occupied dwelling unless you have permission.

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Smart deer taste better, I'm sure of it....they just have to. Still don't know if I'll get out at all this season; my ardor for it has cooled a bit the past few years. If I do get out any it will be just to enjoy the woods. I WILL have my rifle with me - I never go into the bush without one - so I might get chili fixins' after all.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Mmmm, chiili!

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Whoo hoo! Draw for Maryland bear tags was today, we got two tags!! My pal Petey and I can each shoot a bear with our flintlocks, IF the hunt gods smile on us of course.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
looking like my real food days are over, have a 'G' tube for life, no more eating, just liquid food through the tube, Second time to dance with Cancer ,off the porch, knuckle down and taking no prisoners. Great trail so far. Still going just to see what is out there !!

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
ALL THE WAY TO GREEN RIVER!!!!

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I've had a lifetime license for years now (age related) which covers deer, bear, turkey, small game, fishing; about everything except moose. I WILL get out some just to be able to say I GOT OUT SOME! Other than that I make no plans.