New
Find
Notify
Tools

This Year's buck
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted

Late getting this on here, mainly because photobucket is such a pain, but this was the flintlock buck kill for the year. Add in a doe and the bear I got earlier and it was a good season for the .58 flintlock! He was only a 6, but he was several years old and never had much of a rack. Bully deer, too, so he had to go to make room for better up and comers on my place.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
WELL DONE!

I apparently have developed a flinch Eeker Mad and missed twice this year. So glad to see somebody putting venison in the freezer.

Bright side of my situation is that it will require some good range time to fix.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Osprey, that is a good buck in my opinion. And your rifle is a woozer! You had a "dream" of a season.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Ya, nice buck....L.D.,nice that you can see the silver lining in that cloud...

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hanshi, it was a pretty good year. In addition to the flintlock kills I also killed a 7pt whitetail in bow season and another doe with the .270, a big old sika stag in bow season I bugled in to five yards and two sika doe during shotgun season walking marsh. Filled the freezer with one of the better goose seasons I've had, too, and the only poor part of the year was a complete lack of ducks in my area to hunt.

Now its all over for the year and I'm looking forward to turkeys this spring and all of it starting again next fall. Got several bucks that survived here that shold be whoppers next season, so there's plenty to look forward to.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yowza!....Dude,you done good this year....I'll trade you a domestic duck(that's been a pain in the butt) for one of those geese...*heh* *joking* I know better....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
Wow. Very nice Osprey. Sounds like you had a fun hunting season.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
No Ducks?

ODD..., I'd think in the areas where the Sitka are, the marshes, you'd get at least Woodies, and of course a mallard only needs enough water to fill a kid's wading pool to be happy. Seeing some ducks out here West of I-95. I wonder if they've all learned to stay close to suburbs and the rainwater runoff ponds and thus avoid hunting pressure.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
The ducks are always hard to figure. We did have a few buffleheads and such around, but the puddle ducks have been absent around me for 3 years running. I've got two freshwater impoundments on my place and never see a duck in them until March when they're heading back north. Plenty of geese though, so I'm always thankful for that.

I'm mainly on bigger water and after divers, but you never know where they'll be. There was a raft of 10,000 redheads only 45 minutes from me, out on open water most of the season, but didn't do me any good at my place. Some years they show, some years they don't.

Half of the reason I still go is for the dog, he loves it. 60lb black lab and he is an awesome retriever. I've seen him make 80 yard retrieves in 3' waves on divers and bring in small ducks three at a time in his mouth. This year got to watch him make a few 200 yard water retrieves on crippled geese, and twice he swam out and brought in two geese at once. Now he's unemployed until fall, sleeping in front of the woodstove...