New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time to Start Scouting
 Login/Join

Factor
posted
Well it being July it's time for me to be in the woods where I may hunt, and where I am going to hunt, to look for deer, deer sign, and anything else that may help or hinder my putting venison on the table.

Last year when I hit the woods I found I had a poacher on the property where I normally hunt. Mad Put out some stakes on the property line with florescent blue (used in my state) stripes to mark the hunting boundary...., guy's tree stand disappeared in about two days. Wink

I hunt from a ground blind or two, so I normally get the local vegetation to provide me with a screen of sorts.

I also need to look for rabbits and squirrels.

Funny thing my family tradition is not to force the kids to go hunting. My boy wasn't too keen on shooting nor hunting at 12, and took the hunter safety class at 15..., suddenly this year as a young man of 17 he wants to shoot and shoot a lot, though right now it's CF rifles. He asked about deer hunting, and the key where we are is no CF rifles, so time to introduce him to the TC New Englander. Big Grin Then if he wants...FLINTLOCKS. HA!

I think that when he bags a deer he will be all about hunting...., sure will beat video commando games all the time...

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
YAY!!!!!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
With temperatures in the 90s and humidity 90% or more, and poison ivy everywhere just waiting for me to brush against it and cause me to break out in horrible red, itchy, oozing lumps, and not even to mention the ticks, misquitoes and copperheads; I'm just not ready to get into the woods yet.
I'm still in fishing mode.

However, deer have been eating the apples off the tree in my back yard. Also, a small bear has been seen in my neighborhood by several of my neighbors.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm still in fishing mode.

Nothing wrong with fishing mode My brother came out with the nephews for a week visit at my parents last week..., found a sweet spot on the river with bass and cats and told me where it was when he departed. Big Grin

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Yep, it won't be long, now! I can't go scout for a number of reasons but I'll tell you three of them: Ticks, an hours drive and the heat.

Snakes don't bother me in the least; I've been around them all my life and have kept terrariums with copperheads, black rat snakes and others - released in time to fatten up for late fall.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I don't have any private land and out muzzleloader season doesn't open till October 1st so I'm not in a hurry yet. I did look at a few spots on game land in April and found some good trails to firm up closer to the date.

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I try to stay out of the woods this time of year, partly becuase of ticks and chiggers, but also to keep from pushing my deer out. Scouting for me this time of season is with the binocs in the evenings watching fields. Got some slammers to chase this year from what I've seen!

Plenty of work to do for deer season though. I think I spend as much time on the tractor in the summer planting food plots as I do in the stand in the fall.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I guess the deer in my area are much more accustomed to people than Osprey's. Wink

Actually today, at the range a doe and her fawn were munching on the flora of the skeet range (not open on Fridays) while a fellow was banging away with a rifle down on the rifle range about 90 yards from where she was standing. Eeker She didn't even react to the sounds of the shots.

LD

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
The very best time to scout is late winter well after the season closes; no ticks, no chiggers, no snakes and no swamp boojums. Won't frighten the deer as much, either.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post