New
Find
Notify
Tools

backyard deer
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
I have had some pretty serious health problems the past couple years. I'm pretty well resigned to the fact my hunting days are over. I could walk into the woods a mile or so but dragging a dead deer back out (and in the Ozarks 'out' always means uphill) would/could literally kill me.
However, our backyard is a virtual wildlife sanctuary. We have deer daily. I could easily open my door and shoot one at 15 to 25 yards range. My wife wants me to do this. And, I have a new flint rifle coming soon I would love to 'christen' but taking a deer this way, to me, is not hunting. The idea just does not have any appeal. Only upside would be putting some venison into the freezer. What would y'all do in these circumstances?

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Mentor some young strapping lad ,show him the ropes and how to drag deer from woods to meat pole. He learns ,you hunt,,

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Walking Crow may have the best idea. As a kid and upcoming hunter I often went with my uncle to learn and to help drag out his deer - until the year when we both got a buck on the same morning. We each dragged out own deer then.

I agree that shooting a deer in your back yard is not hunting. If all that you want to do is fill your freezer, and you need the meat, than okay. Otherwise, I see no point in it.

One of the best whitetail deer that I have ever seen taken was killed by an immigration inspector. It was at an isolated, little used border crossing in upstate New York. Usually only two men were on duty there at any time.
The 12 point buck (eastern count) came out in a field behind the port of entry every evening. Finally, one of the inspectors took it with a .30-06 from about 100 yards. He fired through an open window in the back of the little building.
Certainly nothing sporting about it. He got some meat and a nice mounted head to hang on his wall.
Things were so quiet at that backwoods border crossing that there might be only 10 or 12 cars pass through between Canada and the US in an 8 hour shift. That same inspector killed some time by building a very nice, museum quality model of the USS Constitution (Old Iron Sides) on a table in the port of entry.
This was back in the mid-1980s.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1259 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
May not be the type of hunt you're used to or would like, or not even a typical 'hunt' you'd read about, but as long as the season's open and you want the meat certainly nothing wrong with it.

Sometimes we think too much. Put yourself in a 1750's period frame of mind, do you think a hungry farmer on the frontier would turn down a gift deer he could shoot from the cabin window? Even today I know plenty of country folk who would look at it just as pragmatically.

If you want to make it like the hunts you used to do, hide in the flower bed or rhododendrons in your camo and imagine the big woods! Smiler

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
If you need meat simply get it the easiest legal way available. If you want to "hunt", I think it's a much better idea to do it right.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3493 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hanshi contact Local Fish and Game get put on their Road Kill list and wait,amazed at the number and what you get offered.Bear/moose/deer.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Walking Crow I sympathize with you. I turned74 this year and in the past 2 years I've had my lower back fused, neck fused and my good shoulder replaced twice. I can still walk, but dragging a deer would be a challenge. I also have a stent in my heart. Lately I have been looking at adult tricycles with gears. Ifigure I could make a small trailer to attach to it. They are about $250 used on ebay. I will still be able to hunt and if lucky enough to get a deer, I would be able to get it out without undue strain on my tired old body.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sorry I meant this for Rifleman 1776, Early alzhiemers sometimes kicks in.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Fill your freezer and enjoy the repast it will give.

Posts: 109 | Location: NH | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Bud in PA get a young lad to mentor..or two.They get the hunt of a life time with instructions and you get to go hunting.on my last hunt I want them looking for crows circling to locate me. Propped up against a cedar in the thicket,rifle across my lap and the birds singing,and a slight breeze,just hope they do not gut me so the drag out will be easier.

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Walking Crow, my ideal is still to die sitting on tbe beach at La Manzania, Jalisisco, México, watching tbe sun go down over the Pacific Ocean.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Heh, both ideas have merit.....Either way, I want a half consumed beer to be in my hand....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 1925 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting discussion. I think if you want or need the meat, go ahead and shoot... Especially if your wife wants you to do it.

We humans came up with the idea of "sport" and "fair chase." I respect that, if you want a trophy for the books. However, I think a clear shot at close range, with a quick, humane kill has some merit also. Consider that the hide won't be damaged by dragging, and the meat will be as fresh as you can get. That is not disrespectful. I also think there's no harm in getting a nice set of antlers for the mantel. You're not going to make up some tall tale about them, but the fact that a really nice buck came to you, respected you as an old hunter unable to get out in the deep woods and offered himself to you, is pretty big medicine. You will see those antlers long after the meat is gone, and you will give thanks and honor that buck just as he honored you.

That's the view from my saddle.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post