MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Hunting    Why do we do what we do ???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do we do what we do ???
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Most of the deer I've killed over the last 45 years have been killed with a modern scoped rifle or a revolver. Since the vast majority were 100 yards away or less, The modern rifle or a plain revolver were - for me at least - easy shots. I'd hunted quite a bit with a muzzleloader since the mid 1960s but just mixed that in with modern gun hunting. Finally I hung it up and went full blackpowder. That's what I've been doing for quite a while, mostly flint but some early percussion.

I fantasize a little and enjoy the challenge while out in the bush with an ML. To me that's part of the fun. The satisfaction of a kill with 18th century equipment is immense.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I'm with you Hanshi but I'm going to try and kill one with a revolve this year just because I've never have. 99% of my hunting is done with a flintlock......Smiler

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B Staley:
I'm with you Hanshi but I'm going to try and kill one with a revolve this year just because I've never have. 99% of my hunting is done with a flintlock......Smiler

Boyd, I used .357s, .41s and .44mags and they all do the job exceedingly well. I'm a big fan of the .45Colt but just never tried it on other than small game. I say go for it, the satisfaction of a deer kill with a revolver is great , much like doing it with a flintlock.

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hanshi:

I say go for it, the satisfaction of a deer kill with a revolver is great , much like doing it with a flintlock.

I agree. I enjoy handgun hunting too.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
I like to think it's a love of history, a love for the rifles and matches and hunting of yesteryear, and the fact that it is harder than picking up one of those new fangled rifles.

The smell of leather, the crack of a nicely loaded rifle and the smoke are certainly in my blood.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Cado
posted Hide Post
Love of history for sure and the fact that hunting with and shooting a longrifle is just plain fun. That being said I did shoot a large hog with a Shilo Sharps 45/70 a few weeks back. May try for a deer with it this fall but the Flint longrifle will always be my favorite.

Posts: 617 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I love the old stuff. But I keep the new stuff just in case our messed up gov. gets any worse.

"I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late." Quigley

Posts: 104 | Location: The Beehive State | Registered: 12 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hanshi:
Most of the deer I've killed over the last 45 years have been killed with a modern scoped rifle or a revolver. Since the vast majority were 100 yards away or less, The modern rifle or a plain revolver were - for me at least - easy shots. I'd hunted quite a bit with a muzzleloader since the mid 1960s but just mixed that in with modern gun hunting. Finally I hung it up and went full blackpowder. That's what I've been doing for quite a while, mostly flint but some early percussion.

I fantasize a little and enjoy the challenge while out in the bush with an ML. To me that's part of the fun. The satisfaction of a kill with 18th century equipment is immense.
I've hunted for the last 10-12 years with only flintlocks.

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]I've hunted for the last 10-12 years with only flintlocks.[/QUOTE]

Same here, woods loper.

Factor
posted Hide Post
It's funny. While I'd been on big game hunts with other types of rifles and guns, and shared in the meat..., I never was the fellow who actually harvested the deer until I did it with a flinter. I've never personally harvested a deer with anything other than a flinter (well OK except for the bumper of my vehicle, twice Mad) And today, I don't harvest anything without using BP, and then it's 90% with a flinter.

Part is because of the challenge, and part is because they really really shoot well. Wink

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Lol, Wink

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post