MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Hunting    Any sucessful/enjoyable hunts?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any sucessful/enjoyable hunts?
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good one, Danl

I've been in the woods, too, but unlike you I have not seen a single deer.
I did have a wren land on my knee and look me over. That was pretty cool.

I'll be home now through the weekend working on some projects here that need doing. I'll be heading to Lowe's soon to get some lumber.

I expect to be back in the woods next week.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1260 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hi folks. I spent the last 3 days in the woods. I saw many deer and had opportunity to shoot if I so desired. Since it is rut, I am a little picky on attempted shots. I did not shoot or kill anything but time. A successful hunt!

The weather was fantastic and the days were absolutely beautiful. I hope to take a couple of doe after rut but for now I’m watching for the boys. I observed great rutting activity like bucks chasing doe, scraping and each sex’s scrape rituals. I have plenty of time here. Deer season in my area goes until January 31.

I plan to be back at it come Friday evening. I still have 2 more buck “tags”. We are allowed 3 bucks a year but a doe a day if you were good enough and had freezer room.

I wish you all great success in your hunts (whatever you consider a successful hunt).

Loving the woodland views, DanL

God bless America and Alba Gu Brath!

Posts: 503 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hello folks. I had a good day in the woods recently. It was a slow morning for deer activity but a large red-tailed hawk was working the area that I was visiting. A couple of hours after good light a spike wandered through the area. Not long after the spike, a doe crept through. Then it was quiet for a spell.
I caught movement to my left. It was the spike coming towards me. He walked right in front of me panting with his tongue hanging out. He went about 25 yards past me. He stopped dead still. He then ran back where he had come from.
Immediately after he disappeared, a 6 pt came through the same trail panting with tongue out. He also stopped about 25 yards from me. Then he turned to his left and took off running.
I am thinking; what’s going on. Something has these guys spooked something fierce.
Then my experience kicks in; a mature buck that I have not seen yet is running these youngsters off. Then I heard a snort behind me.

Posts: 503 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
To digress: I am hunting in a box blind facing west with a window in front, left and right but no rear window.

I craned my neck looking out the right window to attempt to see what is behind me. I spot a doe moving through a thicket about 80 yards away. She is moving from my back right towards my front right.
What’s this? I spot a large racked mature buck trailing her.
Now this view is a hard right over my right shoulder and in a thicket. I normally shoot a long gun right handed. There is no room to twist my body hard right with a 38” barreled flintlock rifle.

So… I switched to my left hand. I have trained myself to shoot left handed so no big deal. The issue is manipulating the longrifle into position.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I managed to get the longrifle into position. By now, the buck was about straight out the right window approximately 100 yards away and walking away from me.

I lined up the sights dead on his butt. Then he turned left just a bit. There is still some brush between us but I can see him enough to sight on him. I realigned the sights just behind his last rib.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DanL,

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Gently squeezing the trigger…..I did not fire. He stepped behind a bush and DISSAPPEARED !!

Man, what a rush!

A great day in the woods and a very successful hunt!

WHEW, DanL

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are having fun.

I was out in my local blind before dawn this morning. Had a doe walk past at about 30-40 yards. She was on a mission. No stopping, she kept up a moderate walk, going further up the creek. I was hoping that a buck was following her, but none showed up.

I had some things to do here at home, so I walked back home about 10am. I plan to be back in my blind around 2 this afternoon.

Next two days are busy, so I won't be hunting.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1260 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post