Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Lube Question
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted
Guys, got a quick question. I have casted some .50 cal Maxi balls and am thinking of lubing with deer tallow. These will be shot out of my Lyman .50 Great Plains, with both holy black and Pyrodex, but most likely the black. I am mostly a hunter than shooter, and do not re-enact, just enjoy huntng with a sidelock. I have taken deer, bear and moose with round ball, just want more omph for elk. Any thoughts? Experience? Words of wisdom?
For those that will answer about twist, I picked up a GPH extra barrel just for this purpose.
Walk

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Walkingeagle,

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I am also more of a hunter then a re-enacter. I believe that the .50 cal maxi ball will be fine for elk. what powder charge are you using? I would think that 90 to 100 grains of FFG should do the trick. As far as your lube goes, I believe that any type of tallow should be OK. Lots of luck on your next elk hunt.....Greydog

Posts: 28 | Registered: 03 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Walkingeagle, if you use deer tallow you might want to mix in enough bees wax to keep the tallow stiff or it will not stay in the grease grooves. Tallow tends to liquify when it gets warm.

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I think you answered your own question, so to speak. A load that will take a moose will take elk, IMHO. Back when I use to shoot minies in a .58 I used a mix of lard, Crisco or another fat and stiffened it with beeswax. It worked well and didn't melt in hot weather. I agree that whatever you use just mix it with beeswax.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I never thought of adding bees wax, just happen to have some handy, lol.
I have been involved in too many moose kills to mention here in Alberta over the years, and quite a few elk. For those that have never experienced either, moose are not a tough animal, just need the penetration, but elk require more. In my opinion there is no tougher animal on our continent, and this includes the big bears! This cannot be overstated, one lung is not an option with elk. I have hunted them with prb in both .50 and .54, but never shot at one yet. I did manage one with a bow once, and many with modern gear, so I do have some life experience with them. I have no doubt about a prb broadside at under say 60 yards with perfect conditions, but if you pull a bit in the heat of excitement, look out!!
Thanks again, will brew some lube up roughly 50/50 and try.
Best always
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Walkingeagle, let us know how the lube comes out and definitely let us know how the elk hunting comes out!
I guided elk hunters for a few years and taken a few elk myself. Unfortunately, was never able to take a shot when carrying my .54 flinter. However, I shoot 110 grains of 2f behind my prb and wouldn't hesitate to take a good shot out to 75 yards with that load. Obviously your maxi ball would be a good choice for hunting elk. Keep us posted.

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I make my patch lube using three parts olive oil to one part bee's wax. Works really well for patches, rust prevention, and chap stick!

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I also use olive oil and bees wax but in a 2 parts olive oil and one part bees wax. I live near the coast in Mississippi and the heat requires more bees wax. At least this is my experience. YMMV.

doggoner

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 31 | Location: Perkinston, MS | Registered: 13 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I kinda like the idea of using deer or elk lard for the scent. But how long until it goes rancid?

"I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late." Quigley

Posts: 104 | Location: The Beehive State | Registered: 12 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I too prefer a ratio of two parts melted fat to one part melted beeswax, in fact the colder the weather I might suggest three parts melted fat to 1 part beeswax, as it gets very hard when cold and in a 50/50 mix. However, that's for patched round ball, and one might want a very hard lube that stays put in the grooves of a TC Maxi-Ball or Maxi-Hunter???

I have several small mason jars of the stuff..., and the beeswax keeps the fat from going rancid, if it's olive oil OR if it's lard....well they are two to three years old and have not spoiled yet.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post