MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Hunting    .32 maxiball for squirrels.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.32 maxiball for squirrels.
 Login/Join

Free Trapper
posted
I built a new rifle because I had some parts laying around.
(Yeah, I've been away from the fire, but never stopped building).

I'm not going to share pics (unless okayed) it is not a traditional rifle, and one of my own design.

I was thinking about using my maxi ball mold to make some projectiles, but is this going to be too much for a poor little squirrel?

I don't have a round ball mold, so if the maxi balls won't work, i'll have to do some shopping.
I know that patched round ball will work, I just don't currently have any in .32.

So what do you think? Should I try it, or go shopping?

Posts: 154 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
I haven't used a .32 maxi-ball for squirrels but I've taken a lot of them with a .310 prb. Even with a small powder charge the prb does a lot of damage. Just guessing but the heavier maxi moving at a lower velocity than a prb may do less damage. In addition to .32s I also hunt small game with .54s and .58s using a prb and light powder charges. The bigger heavier ball traveling at low velocity causes less bloodshot and tissue damage than the .32 ball at higher velocity.

My take on it is that the mass of the heavier low velocity projectile "plows" through without expanding. As a result there is less meat damage if your shot is slightly off. You still want to make a head shot of course. The smaller ball at high velocity expands and usually ruins more meat (bloodshot) if your shot is off a little. Again, I'm guessing, but the .32 maxi might be somewhere in between.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I have used .490 for two squirrels and a rabbit, taking head shots. I've "barked" two squirrels by blowing up the branch beneath them with the .490 too. But those were more experimental shots, and for serious squirrel hunting I use a .390 ball or a shotgun. I think if you went for head shots, no worries. otherwise, you're probably wasting a lot of lead, but I don't think with squirrel level powder loads you'll do a whole lot of extra damage.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have an original 1850's half stock "Ohio' rifle in .32. I have used a single, patched 00 buckshot pellet in it with some success.

I suggest that you cut open a 12ga. 00 buckshot shell and try several shots with the pellets.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I think I have heard about the buckshot thing before, and just forgot it.

Buckshot is not legal for deer hunting in Illinois, so I have yet to find it at my local shops.
I'm going out today, maybe I'll look to see if I can find some. There has been a pretty big bump in defensive ammo, maybe they carry it now.

Thanks

I'm going to be driving by Dixie gun works in a week or so. I can probably pick up some roundball, and maybe a mold if I stop in.
I hear that there is a museum to see as well. Might make a good leg stretching stop.

Posts: 154 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post