New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting Ready
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Ahhh. What wonderful weather we are having here now. The temperature dropped into the low 60's overnight. Stepping out on the deck this morning felt like autumn had arrived. However, it is predicted that we will be back in the sweltering 90's again next week. I will enjoy this cool spell as long as it lasts.
For the first time since my eye operations I took my motorboat and went out on the Tennessee River yesterday. My main objective was to freshen up my deer blinds on the TVA lands beside the river, but I also did some fishing.
The cool morning warmed into the mid 80's. There was lots of sunshine, and it was just simply a very nice day. I was surprised to find myself alone on the river. In the whole day out there I only saw one other boat, a small cabin cruiser that passed me as it quickly moved on up stream.
I shut my motor off at the mouth of a small, shallow bayou and took up the oars to move into that snag and weed choked backwater. Back in there about a quarter mile the narrow waterway opens up into a small pond. Beyond that, a little brook feeds into the pond. Normally, I get into the pond and go ashore there. From there it is a short hike over a low ridge to one of my deer blinds. However, I was not able to get far up the bayou due to the thick milfoil weed. The stuff hung on my oars making them heavy to lift, as well as holding my boat back. Progress was difficult.
I went ashore were I was. Last year's corn field is now planted in soy beans. Deer love soybeans. Great! I walked the field edge, entered the woods, and went to my blind. I worked there for a couple of hours cutting brush to improve my three shooting lanes and building up my brush blind. There was deer sign all around. I"m satisfied now that all is ready, there, for the muzzleloader deer season in October.
I was so worn out from chopping brush that I didn't feel like going to my other blind across the river. Instead I motored up to the Highway 30 bridge, cut the engine, and drifted back down with the current while I threw a variety of lures along the shoreline, hoping for a bass. I had a few nibbles, but no solid hits, and so I caught nothing. Didn't matter. I saw ospreys, cormorants, woodducks, herons, and kingfishers. It was quiet and peaceful, and I fully enjoyed the day.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I am so glad you enjoyed your day so. I wish I could relax like that when I am out in nature. But I have not yet recovered from a lifetime of hurry. Some bad habits are hard to shuck off. I should be ashamed. El León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh, I've been retired for 2 years now, and I still haven't caught up on the Honeydo list...Getting closer, though.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
A cousin (wife's) has acreage and I do have an invite to hunt. Won't happen this year but next year it will.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yah! Do it, man!!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post