New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drawing in deer
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
OK not so much actually hunting but I've got a couple acres of my own, woods down below n site an field along side. I can't hunt it but for fun n just watching I put corn n such out to draw em in. Three days past I put out about 3gallons of corn dusted with strawberry jello n a brick of that natural salt block. First night nothing, yesterday two does, tonight five deer checking it out n feeding. It's amazing how quick they find food stuffs n take advantage of it. With the salt block n mineral salts to also attract doesn't take much time. Last year I could have 12to14 deer getting a nibble n pawing the dirt for the salts n minerals. Might be a week or two n don't know how they pass on the info but I'll have a bunch right directly coming in for a bite to eat. Fi ally bought a trail cam to check it all after dark as a willow gets beat up every year but I never see the buck doing it. They seem not to mind human scent as I've left sweaty socks, took a leak etc right around the corn area with no affect on them coming in. Bet a couple a those nice fat young does would be gooood eaten

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Strawberry Jello....whodathought? Eeker

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Dave can't really say why the jello works but over the years I've tossed out plain corn kernels vs those dusted with the jello n the jello always seems to draw em in quicker. Could be the smell of the taste but it seems to help draw em in. Old fella down in WV swore that adding the jello some honey n bakers yeast to a few gallons of corn, covering with water n letting the mixture set a couple days before setting it out would pull deer from the next county LOL. Nevvver tried it but who knows, those older mountain folk had some secrets to putting meat on the table

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Baiting is a controversial issue. Some States allow it. Some do not. One thing against it is that some people say the bait concentrates the deer and therefore disease gets spread among them faster.

I don't know. I have nothing against it, within certain limits.

Michigan is a State that allows baiting. When I lived up there I knew a man who would dump a pickup truck load of sugar beets and carrots in the woods in front of his blind every year. He took some nice deer, but when spring thaw came those rotten vegetables sure made a mess.
Since then Michigan passed a law restricting the amount of bait that one person can put out to just one 5 gallon bucket full.

I admit that I have tried baiting, but it has never been particularly successful for me. Perhaps that is because I usually hunt the big woods in the back country where the deer have never seen corn or apples or any of that kind of stuff. The commercial deer attractants such as
Deercaine, salt blocks, and the various acorn/apple, or whatever flavored/scented liquid concentrates have never produced for me.

I have heard of the use of strawberry jello powder. Also peanut butter. I tried the peanut butter, but again the results for me were poor.

Anyway, baiting is not legal here in Tennessee where I now live and hunt.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Oh I'm not baiting to hunt, to many houses n such near by. I guess I could use a bow but like Tenn baiting isn't legal here in Pa either. Liquid attractents like Tinks n such are OK but food stuffs are frowned upon. I just put the stuff out so I can sit n watch em. If ya got the time to just watch em its amazing what ya can see n learn about em. Got one ol doe I've known since she was a fawn n watched her cavort in the yard stretching her legs n learning to run. I can walk to about 30 feet of her before she moves off. She's dropped a fawn in the tangle below the house every year for awhile now. Cute as heck watching her bring out the new fawn all wide eyed n trusting to nibble here n there as she weans it off. Can't much hit the woods anymore due to health so it sorta brings the woods to me to still enjoy

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have a feeder out back of the house that keeps several does feed plus a salt lick and a couple food plots planted this year of oats rye grass and red top clover, keeps them in the area but then about everyone around me does also lol.

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
One thing I know for sure is the minerals don't work at my place. They're all salt based and there is so much salt in the soils and plants around here from big storm tides that they get more than enough of that!

The jello powder is a neat idea. I've heard of sugar and molasses, they seem to really like the sweet stuff. Few guys that bait for sika around here say they really like the sweets, one guy uses gummy bears for bait!

Hard to beat corn for price per unit. Acorns are great too. I normally rake up three pickup loads of sawtooth acorns at work each fall and put them out here where I hunt, those are the best thing I've ever seen. Got sawtooths planted and starting to put off their own acorns now, so hopefully the trees will take over for me. Last year I saved three trash cans of those acorns until January, it was like putting out deer crack! Bucks and does came running an hour before dark!

The deer are around all the time here though. I've got 4-5 acres in clover, turnips, radishes, wheat, rape, sorghum, millet and kale, all for the deer and fowl, all rotated in plots for best soil production. I have almost as much fun farming for them as I do hunting them.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Hey Osprey where you located? A buddy just bought some property in MD so he can hunt Sitkas. He's an archery hunter n not much into stuff like here. I'm just over the Pa line in Oxford Pa

Factor
posted Hide Post
OXFORD?

OXFORD?

My hunting buddy is a mere 40 minutes south of you in Bel Air, MD. I'm a bit farther away in Damascus.

You should come down and visit Historic Jerusalem Mill Village sometime and say hello.

As for the Jello mentioned....I will give that a try Saturday, and we'll see if I get any action in late October or Late November. Big Grin As for concentrating the deer, well they are so thick and destructive where I live, that it isn't going to make a difference. We can take as many as 10 doe each year (and a DNR officer said if I took ten he'd get me a permit to take 10 more...)

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
If you do the Mill then you've run across that grey haired ol geezer that sells the antique tools. Haven't seen him in several years,course that's because I haven't been out much. Tony's is good people n Really knows his stuff on those tools. We've probably met if you've attended Muddy Run or Jacobsburg . you also might know George n Stephanie from bel air, she ran the Hays House event before it was shut down because the school grounds were put to other uses. That was a fun event sad it had to end.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Birdman61,

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I'm just outside of Cambridge, if he's hunting sika he can't be too far from me. Mainly whitetails at my place, but starting to see a sika drift through now and then. I love to hunt those little Jap deer! Mmmmm.

And it's sika, sitka's are blacktails in the NW U.S. Smiler

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Swamp walker two years ago. He will invite me on another Swamp Walk this year for sure.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Walking Crow,

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Osprey my buddies property is down around Crocheron( sp) south of you. Backs up to forest down there. LOL much farther south n he'd be in the bay hahaha

Booshway
posted Hide Post
With the full moon and nor'Easter this weekend he may be in the Bay at high tide anyway! Once this gets out of here it's time to start on the sikas, I've seen a few stags cruising at night while I've been working, it'll be rolling by next weekend. Really nice to have them rut a full month before the whitetails!

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Put out another batch of corn this afternoon, five deer on it tonight. Always get a kick out of two does rearing up n swatting at each other, like tonight oft times you can hear the impact of those hoof punchs. Man those wacks n thuds gotta hurt. A sixth set of eyes out in the field, I know a small fork horn is around n just guessing it may be him. Typical buck behavior to hang back like that. Guess it's time to mount the new game cam n see if I can get a PIC

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
My wife has been feeding a bunch of free-loaders for the last 15 years and believe it or not she can holler (are you ready to eat)and if any are around they go to the spot where she throws the corn. Some will come within 15 or 20 yards of us. Once she caught me practicing and snapping my flinter at em. Wouldn't to smart.

Posts: 82 | Location: north georgia | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
[IMG:top] photo first time 240.jpg[/IMG]One of the reasons I was told not to hunt in the back yard.

Posts: 82 | Location: north georgia | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post