New
Find
Notify
Tools

TRACKS!
 Login/Join

Factor
posted
So..., a few days ago I exited my abode in the early morning hours and saw some odd tracks in the fesh snow on the sidewalk. They were composed of two very large parts in front forming a \ /... and smaller portion at the base so the whole track looked like... \,/..well sorta like that. I noticed that it was always the same formation and they were about 12" apart. RABBIT! Ha so a rabbit was out early in the snow..., then I realized the tracks led up to the front porch, stopping at the hedge, but didn't lead away... Rabbit in My Hedge Cool Probably warm under there like an igloo with snow on top of the hedge and surrounding the sides.

Unfortunately..., I can't harvest these neighborhood rabbits as the HOA has the common area lawns treated with weed killers, and the stuff is very toxic, so I don't want to eat critters that have been eating that stuff.

Still..., I suppose I could live-trap the rabbits in the summer, and take them over to areas where there are no chemicals, and after a couple of years I could hunt their offspring...

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Don't have the toxic problems here, and have a guy with 6 beagles coming Tuesday for a hunt!

I can top the rabbit tracks, one of the last snows I walked out in the morning and there were fresh deer tracks ON the sidewalk! Came up next to the door and had been nibbling on the ivy in a flower pot.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
This is interesting to me because I live in a subdivision yet it's common to find deer tracks on the sidewalk. We also have deer all behind the house and often see them in the back yard right up next to the house. Twice trappers have been called in to trap foxes which come out in the daytime as readily as at night. We've had to call a trapper to remove coons from our attic. Haven't seen any bears....yet; but our county is one of the hot spots for bear harvest.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
A mtn. lion killed a deer behind and just above my decoy trailer about a week and a half ago. That's about 50 yards from my house. We have deer around and in the yard regularly and sometimes moose and elk. Coyotes often and when my wife and I were out for our walk last week we saw a wolf about a quarter mile from here. But we live in the woods.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I love living in the country. Deer regularly in the yard, have pass shot geese from the back steps on numerous occasions, today had two bald eagles raising a ruckus over the front yard and dock.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hey there LD,

I understand your predicament. There's definitely something different when a little critter takes refuge amongst the same place yer loved ones do.

I think you have it right; catch it (after the cold has passed), move it, and hunt its offspring. Plum natural, it is. Them young'uns wouldh't have had a chance at life if'n their folks had froze to death anyway. Fair trade.

Plus, rabbit cycles is rabbit cycles. If they aren't hunted they'll catch something or get caught by something anyway.

I like the way you think.

Spot

Posts: 849 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 11 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Osprey, I am a bit jealous of you for having goose hunting at your place. Goose hunting here is very unpredictable, some years we don't have geese until after the season closes. I have to go all the way to the Columbia basin for good goose hunting, and I love waterfowl hunting above all other hunting. By the way, I have to admit that while I do all my other hunting with flinters, for waterfowling I cave in and use Benellis.

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Scoundrel....
I traded in the Benelli's for flinters and dbl cappers for waterfowl...Makes for an interesting hunt...Very rewarding!
Found out... you need to call them in close and hit them hard.

How do you keep a dogs skin on them with lions in the area?

My neighbors beg me to thin the rabbit herd here..they take great pride in their food plots-gardens..some winters the rabbits raise lots of cane with the bark of trees and bushes.

Osprey...The eagles are congregating to the shrinking open water here...watched 3 eagles just toy with a bunch of diving ducks not 10 yards from them while standing on the ice?
Seems as though the eagles were smart enough not to water dive in -10 deg temps.
This was on an ice covered slow flowing river.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fowl,

Posts: 122 | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
You'd have really been jealous this week Scoundrel, had over a thousand canvasbacks feeding in my cove just yards from the dock. Still a few hundred geese in my impoundment every night, too. Smiler

I love my flintlocks, but duck hunting is too important to be fooling around. With the mud, saltwater and cold I stick with 12 ga pumps. Boom, boom, boom, every time.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Osprey, that gives me the same empty feeling that I get when the steelhead fishing is hot and I can't get down to the river.
Fowl, I've been considering going after ducks with my north west gun and a bag of bismuth, but goose hunting being what it is I'll stick with the Benellis. Mtn. lions plucking dogs off the porch isn't real common but it does happen once in a while.

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Osprey have seen some of that in the larger pools on the Mississippi river...Thousands at a time..Awe inspiring !!!
Scoundrel..I shoot 3f Goex and Hevi-shot.
have shot my share with cf guns now its time to just enjoy...no pressures no expectations...
Always plenty of fowl for Thanksgiving and Christmas feast.
I enjoy calling for others...

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Fowl you are right about the calling. Putting them into the decoys is the heart of water fowling. I wish I had the opportunities close at hand that some of you enjoy. Are you using the Hevi-Shot matrix? If not, what does the hard shot do to your barrel since it would have no shot cup?

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
plz Check e-mail were getting off topic.