New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Hunting Grounds?
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Well the big change that's been looming for awhile seems to be happening, after a few unsuccessful efforts over the past few years I have a contract to sell my home/farm! Been in the family since 1960 and I've grown up here and hunted it all my life, so it's bittersweet, but it's time. Between older family passing on, some moving, and my co-owner cousin ready to get her half out of it, by late February I'll be someplace new. Going to miss it, but it is exciting thinking about someplace new.

Except now I have to decide where I want to go. Looking at the same area here (middle Delmarva), plus far western MD, southern Iowa/norther Missouri, maybe southern Ohio, possibly even farther west? Not even close to a decision, guess I'll drive until something hits me, feels like home and has good hunting. Into the unkown I go...

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hiya Osprey!

How well I know the feelings you are dealing with, since I had them when we moved from Alaska (after living there 48 years)to Montana. After 5 years I still have moments of missing it terribly, but I'm here now and try to make the best of it.

I hear tell that there is some good country in Minnesota. Sparks moved there a couple of years ago from Idaho. Says he likes it fine.

Here's wishing you a Merry Christmas......'n' fine success in finding a new home and range to explore!

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Here's wishing you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

As a federal employee I was transferred around quite a bit. I used to like moving to a new place every few years or so, but I've settled down since I retired.

I grew up in New Jersey, but I have also lived in worked in Arizona, upstate New York, Michigan, South Carolina, and New Mexico. I have been in 46 of the 50 states, and finally, my wife and I choose Tennessee for our retirement.

If you have a choice there is much to consider. For me, I look first at a state's gun laws, and whether the state leans liberal or conservative. Then taxes, cost of living, crime rate, hunting and fishing opportunities, and weather. My wife looks at medical facilities and shopping.

Know your priorities and then go for it.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you Osprey, I originally started in NE New Jersey back in the 50's and 60's. Born in 44. We trapped and hunted not 5 miles in a straight line from times square. I imagine that if I went back there now to shoot some rats in the swamps(Meadowlands)I'd be carted off to jail. I now live in the Pocono mountains in PA and couldn't be happier. Deer, bear, squirrels, rabbits, grouse in my back yard. I even have a 50 yd. range in the back yard. Take your time and look hard enough and you should be able to find heaven like I did.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Checking in with an update, boy did I pick a heck of a time to do all this! Got the sale all finalized, stuff in storage and hit the road, but then the world went to hell with the virus and stock market. Made it as far as western MD looking around and figured I'd better head back until things blew over in case they shut everything down, and now glad I did! Bouncing around with family and friends because I can't really do anything except look at stuff online. Frowner Frustrating times, for sure...

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Frustrating times, for sure...

Yes they are. Good luck.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I have a nagging suspicion we'll be dealing with this crises for months to come. This summer will not be a summer like the ones we've known before. There are quite a few folks who found themselves in a lurch when this virus hit. Best of luck.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Reading back over this, boy were you right Hanshi!

I have found a new place, finally, and it's almost where I started. Smaller than the old farm, but same county in Maryland. Five acres of woods, nice little cabin style home, high ground with huge old tulip poplars, hickory and beech, enough woods to hunt that already has some nice whitetail and sika deer in it. Almost moved to far western Maryland, even had a contract on one place, but just couldn't find exactly what I wanted. And with the Covid and adding in aging parents it just made too much sense to stay local and travel more to hunt. Now to get the place all set up like I want, set up a shop for gun building again, etc. Moved in already, but a new project every day!

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Getting better every week at this new place as I check the game cameras. So far have had pics of a 6, 7, 8, and 10 pt whitetails, a big spike sika stag and four sika hinds and fawns at one time. Can't wait to see what goes through here as the respective ruts come in for both species!

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Ya know, they can retract their horns, like Wolverine can retract his claws, whenever a human is there in person. That's why that 10 pointer is never seen during hunting season!

Part Man, Part Critter
Born under the watch of the Great Spirit

Posts: 71 | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
GOOD FOR you Osprey!Glad you found what you want.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Ugly:
Ya know, they can retract their horns, like Wolverine can retract his claws, whenever a human is there in person. That's why that 10 pointer is never seen during hunting season!

Ain't that a fact! But I've noticed they make up for it by gaining weight when they are dragged.

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Osprey, You obviously made a very good decision considering all that's going on. The best to you and good luck this season.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thanks, hopefully will have lots of action to post about. Am in the mountains scouting for bears right now, buddy and I drew a MD tag for late October again. Smiler

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
This season will be a bust for me. It will take a few months for me to be able to see after having the surgery a month ago. How much vision I'll recover is not possible to predict but I'm being optimistic.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Hanshi, we're rooting for you.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Boartooth; all you guys, actually. It's now a wait & see.