New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Season
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
The modern firearms season opens in a week in Maryland, can't wait to get back out. Have barely hunted this month waiting for fresh tags after a successful early season. May be a heretic and use the modern rifle a day or two, and probably the shotgun if I go walking marsh to jump shoot sika, but mainly the flintlock for the two week hunt. Hopefully more stories to come!

Maybe even LD will have a success story this time around!! Big Grin

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Good luck with the sika hunting, Osprey.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Regular gun season opened here last Saturday. It sounded like a war zone all around. I stayed home. I will continue to use my flintlock throughout all the deer season.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the full moon hits in the second week of deer here in Maryland, so gives them some good light to feed and move by. Here's hoping it stays cold and they need to feed more often, so move during the day.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Long range forecast actually looks pretty good the first week LD, I'm seeing highs in the 40's after opening day for a good stretch. By the second week they're spooked up and nocturnal around here anyway, and by then I'm tired of treestands and start walking.

I'd love to see a nice snow on the marsh the second week. The one time I've seen that there wasn't a sika that could get away from me!

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I've been using a flintlock throughout the entire season and have never felt at a disadvantage. Currently, I'm taking my .62 flintlock smoothbore into the woods and prefer it in the bush. I don't get to hunt much but still enjoy being out with the gun.

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I also use my flintlock rifle during all of my states firearm season.

Last Saturday morning I took a medium sized Michigan doe with my 45 caliber Bucks County rifle. She dropped right on the spot from a heart\lung hit about 35 yards out.

My hunting load for this piece is 70 grains 3F Goex, pillow ticked precut patched over a .44 round ball lubed with lanolin.

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
By the second week they're spooked up and nocturnal around here anyway,...

It's funny but I've been told that by many hunters, that deer go "nocturnal" and I've found that's not the case, IF it's cold enough. A mild winter, yeah they eat in the dark and can do with only one feed, but when it's cold, they need the calories and so must feed twice. They don't plan it, and the urge to stay put actually works against them when it's cold, since it coincides with light. So..., they wait so long that hunger gets them moving in daylight. I've had several deer taken between noon and 2 when supposedly they're not moving at all.

Here's hoping for chilly weather, AND maybe an overnight rain...cold and wet requires even more calories than just cold. Big Grin

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sorta odd day for the opener here. Gorgeous morning, calm, clear, cold but warming, bit of light fog, geese in the air but never saw a deer and heard very few shots.

Evening it was mid 50's, few clouds, light wind and deer were moving everywhere. Passed 4 does, 3 yearlings, a young 8pt and saw two more small bucks running deeper in the woods. None of the shooters I'm after showed, but there was a lot of gunfire in the distance in all directions!

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Success tonight! Had a one day permit hunt at Blackwater NWR for the shotgun season, but I took my .58 flinter. Got a lot of funny looks at the parking area, but I was the only one who came out with a nice stag at the end of the day. 50 yard shot put down a 5 pt sika stag late in the afternoon!

Buddy took his slug shotgun instead of his flintlock - he killed a Boone and Crocket sapling, but not the deer he was aiming at. Smiler

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!

Posts: 101 | Location: Davidsville , PA | Registered: 10 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Way to go, Osprey!

Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Them saplings now, hard to describe the taste, but kinda woody would be close.
Congrats on what sounds like a great hunt.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
'Grats,Osprey!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well I've had a heck of a second week of gun season! A buddy came along for his first sika hunt, we took the shotguns and buckshot and walked salt marshes jumping deer, he got his first sika, a doe/hind, and I shot a spike. Not black powder, but always fun and a muscle cramping workout.

Even better was the next day at home on the farm, I shot the 5 1/2 year old buck I was after. He's been an 8 some years, had some injuries and was a huge 6 point this year. 30 yard shot with the .58 flinter finally put him down.

And THEN, to top off everything, the next morning the phone rang at 6:30AM. Not normally a good thing, but it was our local Ducks Unlimited chairman, I'd won the weekly calendar gun raffle, going to have a brand new Browning A Bolt in .308 coming my way! Almost $900 gun! Not something I'd probably use, but it may get traded, sold and eventually become something better with a frizzen. Smiler

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Great season for you and congratulations on that old buck. And congratulations on winning a fine rifle. You have as much good luck as I have bad.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. You had a great season. What a great way to end the year!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
End?!?! Who said anything about end?!?! We've got another two week muzzleloader season starting December 16th. Big Grin

Factor
posted Hide Post
Osprey,you live a charmed life....Grats on the rifle!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Walking Bear 1954
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your hunt

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what’s for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed sheep that can contest the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 33 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 14 December 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post