MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Hunting    RANGE TEST: .45cal DOUBLE PRB deer load
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RANGE TEST: .45cal DOUBLE PRB deer load
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Thanks, RB,
But since I am living here in Ole México I won't be getting to the range to do any tests. I sold all my gonnes before coming here because I could not bring them along. Now maybe if I get to see the good ole boy I sold my yeager to, we could try this for ourselves, just range testing, not hunting.
Thanks anyway, I was just curious. Have fun with your project since it is legal in your state.
León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roundball:
.45cal DOUBLE PRB RANGE TESTS

09/30/13 UPDATE:

Since my initial test a couple weeks ago, the thought occurred to me that the POI I got that was higher than I expected was probably caused...at least in part...by shooting off a bench rest.

Back to the range today to retest from my normal seated hunting position, leaning back against a post like it was a tree, off elbow braced down on my chest...got a noticeable improvement in POI.

Tried 100grns at 50yds again, and while the double PRBs printed lower than a couple weeks ago due to not shooting from a bench rest this time, they were still a bit above the 3" aim point sticker, higher than I wanted at 50yds.

Tried shots using 90grns Goex 2F (which I had skipped last trip) and got figure-8's in the top half of the 3" sticker...basically 1.0" to 1.25" high at 50yds which is just fine.

2 pairs (4 balls) actually created one large ragged hole in the same place...the other pairs made separate figure 8's, resulting in all 5 pairs being in a 2.0"-2.25" cluster at 50yds.

So 90grns 2F it is, for some extra velocity compared to the 80grn charge I tried 2 weeks ago.
Very high confidence in this experimental .45cal double PRB deer load.

Closing note of Irony:

My first reaction to the accuracy of these double PRBs was "great"...who WOULDN’T think figure 8’s at 50yds was great.
But then the thought occurred to me...they would probably be more effective on game if the POI actually had a 3-4" separation...but, it is what it is.

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Very interesting RB. Keep us posted on your results. Best of luck to you. RH

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post