New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spring's a'comin
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Boartooth not around here,you just about have to slap them side the head to get them to move.They are all over the place,10-15 eating under my apple trees in the field,see tracks in the snow daily,yep still have tracking snow in April and more coming tonight,some special,ocean water temp up to 39 degrees and the nights below freezing and days up into the 40's, just perfect for making Maple Syrup.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Soooo, what happens on the first day of hunting season?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boartooth:
Soooo, what happens on the first day of hunting season?

Hopefully some version of the good old "Bang-Flop"! Big Grin One more week to the opener here in Maryland...

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
http://americanlongrifles.org/...ex.php?topic=54063.0

I got the bang part of the 'Bang-flop' ready to go, pics at the link! That full choke barrel took a bit of getting used to for loading and cleaning...but it patterns good! Already named her 'Ol Snoodwhacker' so we'll see if she lives up to the name real soon. Smiler

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Very nice sir!!
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Good Luck on the opener..
Glad to see a rear sight on that turkey choke barrel.
They shoot tight.

Posts: 122 | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
It's been a tough two days to start the season! No gobbles heard from the roost either day, high winds, clouds of pollen and plenty of single hens. Only decent sighting was two big toms 140 yards away across a field with hens at 11am on the opener, they'd answer with gobbles and strut to my calling and decoys, but wouldnt' leave their hens.

Forecast is for heavy storms tonight and SW winds 15-30mph the next two days, doesn't sound enouraging...

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
That sure is a super nice gun.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Inside day here,raining so hard the frogs are moving to higher ground,No strutting yet but the Geese flew over several time in the past few days,spring is here, next mud season, then on to summer.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Things seem to be tough all over and the birds are kicking my butt! Talked to guys in three counties and everyone is having a horrible season so far. Had the NWR hunt today and finally heard some birds gobbling, worked birds at daybreak and mid-morning, but they both had lots of hens with them and quickly went the opposite direction after those.

It's also oddly warm this year. Normally the first week I'm wearing a jacket and often a wool hat, this year all short sleeves. Ohh, and the skeeters are starting, too, so I've got that going for me... Frowner

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Same here. I finally got out for the day last Monday. I crossed the lake and hunted the hills on the far side. Walk-in access on that side is difficult, and not many, if any, bother to cross the lake to hunt - except me. No matter; I saw and heard nothing.
Spent the afternoon fishing, but only caught one perch.
It was a beautiful day, though. About 80*F
I hope to do it again tomorrow, but storms are predicted for the afternoon.
Have a doctor appointment today.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Seeing a few birds, but they are still doing me wrong every day. I think the DNR bred a strain of turkeys that's mute and afraid of calls and decoys!

Did get to break in the fowler this morning though. Had a big red fox come by just after first light, measured after at 32 yards. That load of lead 4's dropped him like a sack of hammers. May not have come home with a turkey, but saved a few poults!

Factor
posted Hide Post
Actually,if you take into consideration our hunting techniques, WE are the ones breeding for smart, quiet turkeys....Lol, makes ya think, eh?

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Success!! Listened for birds at dawn today, but it was dead quiet so I went fishing instead. After that, when I was rinsing off all the fish fillets in the sink, I looked out the window and saw birds way out in the field! Tried to get out on him, but they were gone by the time I could get the camo on and grab the gun.

Oh well, sometimes they come back out in the field in the afternoon when they're around, and we went to all day hunting yesterday, so there was still hope. At 4pm I went out to the blind, set out a couple decoys, and settled in. Made a few soft calls, and fifteen minutes later I heard a very distant gobble, at least I thought I did. Sure enough, it was, and he was steady gobbling and coming my way, from maybe a 1/4 mile off in the woods. He covered the ground in 15 minutes, gobbling and answering calls, and made a beeline for my strutter and hen decoys when he hit the field. Strutted the last 30 yards in, when he hit 20 I let the new flintlock have a go at him. Been loaded for two weeks but went off perfectly, dropped him in his three toed tracks! Nice bird, 11" beard, over an inch hooked spurs.

Been a long, rough season with lots of quiet mornings, glad to finally get one on the ground and break in 'Ol Snoodwhacker. I think it even recharged my momentum, may get out a few more afternoons and try some public land hunts now.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Alright!!! 'Ol Snoodwhacker earned its' name!

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
What Boartooth said. It's been too long since I've taken a trip to gobble territory.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post