New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spring's a'comin
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
The turkeys were gobbling back in the woods last week, won't be long now! April 18 opener here in Maryland, working on a new 20ga flinter with a turkey choke barrel that should be done and tested for the opener. Smiler

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Sounds good. I hope to get into the woods this year as well. Usually I'm all wrapped up in prepping for Market Fair, but I have to go out of town that weekend, so I will try to get in some Turkey hunting first.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Already looking up for turkeys! I drew a limited lottery day for Blackwater NWR, only one in the area, second hunt day down there. AND it's an area I haven't been in much so I can scout it for sika hunting for next fall. Big Grin

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Turkey numbers are down here in TN and the DNR doesn't know why. Personally, I think the rainy, wet springs we have had has made for a poor hatch. Also, there seems to be a large number of coyotes around.
Anyway, my scouts have revealed very little turkey sign. A friend who lives back in the woods says that he has not even heard a gobble yet. He has horses and usually sees turkey out in his pasture, but not so far this spring.
Our turkey season opens this Saturday. It doesn't look good, but I will be out in the woods next week.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
The turkey season for Arkansas begins April 8. We have a lot of wildlife come through our back yard, turkeys included. But, with the turkeys I have never been able to spot a pattern. We never know when we will have them. Two days ago almost two dozen came in, stayed a while then wandered off. Of those about six were toms and they were strutting. Kinda exciting to hear them gobble and see them. Haven't decided if I'm going to load up my flint fowler to be ready. I hesitate because shooting one, or more, from my back door just doesn't seem sporting.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Reintroduced in the 70;s here in Maine,now they have done so well they are vermin,had 24 eating out of my Bird Feeder,got any idea how much Black oil seed 24 turkeys can eat??

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Walking Crow is absolutely correct! Turkeys are everywhere and it's normal to see flocks of them when we leave the house. Even had one "injured" in the street outside our house here in Gardiner.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Y'mean Gahdnuh?....Lol.Ya turkeys are starting to show up here, where they have never been....Yum.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
So far this A.M.14 turkeys, one fox and a fat wood chuck have crossed my field all before 0800,going to be a good day.OH! and the blue jays,purple finches and red poles are here,24 degrees this A.M. and going to be 40 this afternoon,what's not to love.Maple syrup boiling has started.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Double tapped 22 Maple trees sap is running,the season is up on us.Syrup coming.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I got down to the NWR Saturday for the first turkey hunt scout day for the area I drew, WOW! It looks thick and swampy until you get back in there, but I found turkey valhalla in that place. High, open, ridge (now you have to consider where I am 2-3' is a high ridge) that looked like the Toro rototiller test area it was so tore up from scratchings. Had birds gobbling late morning while I was in there. Can't wait for that day. Smiler

New turkey gun is on good progress to be done in time, too. Think I'll name her "Ole Snoodwhacker". Big Grin

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Had three big longbeards strutting in my field yesterday, too, so it's going to be a good season...

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Yep! Flock of 18, or so, were in the middle of the road disrupting traffic a half mile from the house yesterday. Lots of hens, 7-8 jakes and 4 long beards strutting their stuff.

Trying to get permission to hunt on private property is tough here, the birds don't seem to like being on the national forest lands.

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
OSPREY Might want to figure out a site 'B' cause you know opening morning,there will be more hunters in there than people at a Holiday Give Away.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nope, it's good. The NWR is a lottery permit, only one hunter per day in the area and I've got the second hunt day (it's only hunted Tuesdays and Saturdays). I think there will be plenty left for me. Big Grin

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Boartooth; "Gahdnuh" it is.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Lol, Hanshi my father was a Maniac.....I'm familiar with the accent....

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Went to the NWR tract this morning for the final open scout day to listen for birds on the roost, only one there scouting, and the place is full of birds. Gobbles from every direction near and far, worst thing is going to be deciding which bird to go after if they sound off like that on my hunt day. Wood duck and mallards screaming through the treetops too, and barred owls sounding off like crazy in there. Pretty morning, really got me ready for the season. Smiler

Still birds on my home place, too. Watched two big strutters last night in the field before they moved off to the woods to go up to roost. This is just when I go back to work for the year, but I've got off five of the first six days of the turkey season!!

Booshway
posted Hide Post
14 on the lawn this A.M. Collecting sap at dawn and fool turkeys coming out of the trees,not the smartest bird I know of.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh, smart enough to drive grown men to tears from frustration.....