New
Find
Notify
Tools

Early Deer Seasons
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Who all has early deer muzzleloader seasons in their state? Here in Maryland ours starts next Thursday, buck or doe for 3 days then doe only the following week. I think Delaware starts tomorrow and goes for a week.

I've got a really nice buck running around my place, first season for a new 16ga smoothrifle and the opener is on my birthday. I know what I want for a present!

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Muzzleloader deer season in Tennessee opens on the 28th and continues until Nov. 3rd. However, I can and do use my long rifle during all the firearm big game seasons.

I think TN has one of the most confusing sets of hunting rules and regulations. Seasons come and go. Bear season is open now. It closes this Sunday, the 13th. Later, it will be open again. The same with deer. The big game hunting seasons open and close, open and close, sometimes in one part of the State, sometimes in another. You have to really pay close attention to what is open when and where in this State.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Washington State is also confusing. ML season opens in Georgia this Saturday reg gun season on Nov 19 but I just use my ML all the way through till Dec 15th. I also hunt in Al and the season runs till Jan 31 so I have plenty of time to hopefully get a few...Smiler

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Our early ML deer season starts Nov. 2nd with the early ML bear season opening on Nov. 9th. Our Va seasons are a shattered mess as well. One has to double check the night before every hunt. I hunt straight ML exclusively through all the seasons as many of you do.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
In Ohio ours runs Oct. 12-13, antlerless only. Busy Sat. but will probably hunt Sun.

Posts: 127 | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
WOW just 2 days.....Frowner

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of 1720Todd
posted Hide Post
Our antlerless (any weapon) season was last weekend.
Muzzleloader, buck or doe, starts tomorrow and runs for a week.
I didn't see anything last weekend. Hopefully this week I can out, but this rain is not real good for the old firelock.

We then have a few more weekends for anterless up until Nov when shotgun starts.

Basically most of October and 2/3 of November we can use muzzleloader or shotgun. I use my flintlock for everything though.

We have a "lesser" weapon rule. So in shotgun we can use bow or muzzleloader.

Posts: 88 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 07 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Here in PA an early doe season starts the 19 and runs thru the 26 of October--inlines, caplocks and flinters. Flinters only comes in the day after Christmas. Two weeks of I guess regular gun season comes in the Monday after Thanksgiving. As to confusing regulations few states can be as bad as PA. The fishing regs are worse.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Yes only 2 days. But a week long gun season after Thanksgiving and then 4 day ML in January. Limit down from 6 to 4.

Posts: 127 | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Dang we must be blessed in Al we can hunt deer from October 15th (bow) till Jan. 31st and we can shoot 2 a day but only 3 bucks per season.y

Pilgrim
Picture of 1720Todd
posted Hide Post
Our bow season runs from Sept 1 to Jan 31. I should get a bow, lol.

I was born and raised in Maryland where bow also runs from early Sept to Jan.

Unlimited does during bow, 10 for shotgun and 10 for muzzleloader. One buck per weapon season, plus another with an additional buck tag.

Big change from MD to here in Delaware where it's 2 antlerless, 2 does and 2 bucks total, combined per year. Not sure what the difference is in an antlerless compared to doe. Seems a little silly to me. It is actually a little confusing to some.
I usually only take 1 or 2 does for meat though.

Posts: 88 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 07 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Early muzzleloader season opens Sat the 19th in NY's Northern zone,(Adirondacks), and runs for 7 days, and the the 5 week regular season, followed by another week of Muzzleloader, Vt. only has a late muzzleloader season in Dec., although Bow season is now open. We can take 3 deer per year.

" You do with your scalp as you wish and don't be telling us what to with ours."

Posts: 158 | Location: lake champlain, vt | Registered: 03 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Firearms season for deer opened October tenth where I live. There are some muzzleloader only seasons later, but I use muzzleloaders in all firearms seasons. Regular whitetail season closes on Dec. 1st and muzzleloader only season goes from Dec. 2nd 'till Dec. 14th. Pretty good.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure what the difference is in an antlerless compared to doe. Seems a little silly to me. It is actually a little confusing to some.

Antlerless in Idaho could be a doe, but also could be a towhead buck, or a small buck with antlers less than 3 inches, which a hunter may not see until it's too late.

Pilgrim
Picture of 1720Todd
posted Hide Post
Delaware considers it "antlerless" if the antlers are less than 3 inches, too. But it's weird how they word it in the guide and as to what the tags are. They say you can take "2 does and 2 antlerless" per hunter.
I have 4 tags.
2 for does only, "Only valid for Does, Not valid for button bucks, not valid for antlered deer".
Then I have 2 more for "antlerless" which state, "Only valid for Does, button bucks, or antlers no longer than 3 inches".

See what I mean? Weird.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Yes, that seems odd to me. I think the only reason it's called antlerless instead of doe season here is to give people a little slack if they make a mistake.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I shot a "button buck" once that I mistook for a doe. It had tiny nubbins less than 1 inch high on its head. I couldn't see them at the 50 yard range from which I shot the little guy.
But, it was perfectly legal during that antlerless season.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of 1720Todd
posted Hide Post
Originally growing up in Maryland, that is what they did for antlerless too. Incase you mistook one for a doe.

When I still lived there I shot, what I thought, was a huge doe in muzzloader season. That season used to start the third weekend after Thanksgiving. I walked up on it and realized it was a buck that had lost it's antlers early. The guy at the weigh in station, when they used to have them, agreed that I would have never known it was a buck instead of a doe. It dressed out at 130#. However, it was a musky old buck.

I even asked the game wardens about the tags once. Didn't really get a good answer though. They should just say 4 "antlerless" deer. Less confusing.

I went out this morning and saw 3 does way off. Too far to take a shot.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
In SC, our hunting season in my zone opens on August 15 on private land. You can use whatever you want to shoot them with. Game management land archery is Sep 15 to Oct 1. Muzzleloader is Oct 1 to 10th then the rifle season opens. We have many doe days plus you can buy 4 doe tags at $5 each. The season goes to Jan 1st.

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of 1720Todd
posted Hide Post
Well the old flintlock does it again. Went out this morning and sat for a bit. Just before shooting light I checked my flash pan again, looked up and saw a tail. Crap!! Not spooked, but it knew something moved. Then it started to rain and I almost headed back in. It's supposed to be around 78 degrees today and this morning is was foggy, rainy and muggy. But I figured I'd wait a bit longer.
About 20 minutes later a few Does came in and I was able to take one.
We use venison as a major source of meat in my house and I was getting a little worried not having taken one yet this year.
So now I will at least have some in the freezer. Now to find time to head back out.