MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Hunting    Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
I picked up a .530 round ball bag mold from Larry Callahan a couple years ago. Last night I decided that I would try it out today. I packed it along with a ladle, some lead, powder and a .54 cal Lyman Plains Pistol I built from a kit a few years back. I got a late start this morning but before long I was at one of my favorite camps. I made some shavings and lit them using a flint and steel with char cloth.

I put some lead in the ladle and set it on the fires base logs to melt.

When the lead was almost ready I pulled a piece of wood from the fire to heat the mold.

The balls aren’t perfect (no fault of the mold)but they’ll work. I used the sprue cutter to cut off the excess lead.

I headed out to see if I could get some meat for the pot with my Plains Pistol. Everywhere I went there were coyote tracks. It looked like they’ve been working this area pretty heavily for a couple days. It was overcast and good conditions for hare hunting.

I wasn’t seeing any grouse or hares. Everything seemed to be holed up with the pressure from the coyotes. I did find a hare that one of the coyotes killed. It was whiter than any I’ve taken so far this year. With the spotty snow cover that might have been what did him in.

I covered a lot of ground and wasn’t seeing anything but tracks. I climbed a ridge that flattened out on top. I was working around some cover and a hare darted out and disappeared over the edge of the ridge that I just climbed. As I started down the hill after him there were a couple patches of snow that he ran through telling me the direction he’d gone.

Finally I saw him through an opening in the cover. He was about 30 yards out quartering slightly away from me. At that angle and distance combined with the wide front sight of the Plains Pistol and low light in heavy cover, I wasn’t going to try for a head shot. I put the sight just behind his shoulder and squeezed the trigger.

I saw him take a couple short hops to the left of the smoke cloud. I missed! He stopped behind a pine tree and I watched for a second before reloading to see if he would keep moving. Suddenly he reappeared from behind the tree kicking and flopping on the ground in death throes.

It turned out I hadn’t missed. The ball broke his left front leg on entry, entered the rib cage and exited just past the sternum. It was a small snowshoe, about the size of a cottontail. I was very happy taking it not only with my Plains Pistol but with a ball I cast over the fire just a few hours earlier!

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Excellent story sir! I loved the accompanying photos, very nice and great quality. Congrats
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
That was an exciting hunt and great to read. You made quite a good shot on that bunny. In my experience ball with minor imperfections are quite accurate at ranges small game are shot.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Thanks for taking us along on that fine experience Pab. Enjoyed it thoroughly!

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing....Great fun!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I forgot to mention I used 25 grains of 3F Goex. This has been a great gun. I've used it to take grouse and cottontails on previous hunts.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Thats just cool Smiler

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post