Find
Notify
Tools

Matchlock Gobbler
 Login/Join

Graybeard
Picture of MedicineSoldier
posted
Snuck up and ambushed a gobbler this morning for the opening of the season. I would have liked to have been able to say I called him in but sometimes you have to take advantage of the opportunities you are given.

19 lbs.
9 1/2" beard.

75 caliber smoothbore matchlock
85 grains 2FG
Heaping measure of homemade dripshot.

Medicine Soldier

Matchlock Gobbler

Posts: 219 | Location: Black Hills of SD | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
AWESOME!

Posts: 70 | Location: hanover pa  | Registered: 21 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Unique and impressive, nice work!

Posts: 207 | Location: The Folle Avoine | Registered: 19 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Gotta be a first in about 250 years or more!

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MedicineSoldier:
Snuck up and ambushed a gobbler this morning for the opening of the season.

Great job man...never seen a matchlock in actual operation of known of anyone who hunts with one.
I love the challenge of hunting with Flintlocks and you've taken it to the next level...congratulations !

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Beautiful job. That's doing it the hard way!

Posts: 219 | Location: n.e. ohio | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Now that's somethin! Congrats. RH

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
My hat is off to you sir. Congratulations Smiler

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Wow! That's incredible; matchlock turkey. Beautiful gun that you used, too. I've been wanting a matchlock for some time but will probably never get around to building one. You are to be congratulated regardless whether you called him in or bushwhacked him. Great doings.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
All I can is wow that’s something great job my hats off to you......B Staley

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
And with homemade shot to boot if I read correctly.
I echo the Wow!
NYS Fowler

"Don't mess up my shop!"

Posts: 21 | Location: southern tier, NY | Registered: 18 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
About a month before Ms. Audrey and I moved to México I hunted deer at The Audacious One's Homeplace with my twenty guage matchlock. Unfortunately when the 8 point buck walked up and stopped across the creek, I did not have it in my hands. When I reached for the gonne, the buck was gone...oh, well!
Hombre del Bosque

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
Picture of MedicineSoldier
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Thank you for all the kind comments.

Seeing the success of some and expecting to see more from others I have gotten curious about the species of turkeys that folks are taking. Although there are three species (Merriam, Eastern and Rio) currently in South Dakota but only the Merriam in the Black Hills with the Eastern and Rio in very limited area on gthe East side (East River) of the State .

Medicine Soldier

Posts: 219 | Location: Black Hills of SD | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Now you did it the old-timey way...sneaking up on a wiley Tom is hard enough, but to do it with a Matchlock...well, it just don't get no better than that. Go have a barley pop with the foam on top on me...if I was there. You are 'The Man'.

Congrats on a great hunt with a great piece of history. Not many can make a claim as you did on that day.

Good shooting...Ken

Posts: 403 | Location: In the Hardwoods of Eastern Iowa | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
congratulations

"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Posts: 516 | Location: Ft Parker/Ft Manuel Lisa | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
Very cool!!!

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
ya baby!!

slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Posts: 197 | Location: the backwoods of Gunnison CO | Registered: 04 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Crusader
posted Hide Post
Wow! A MATCHLOCK turkey with homemade shot! How very totally cool ! +C+

Posts: 39 | Registered: 23 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post