New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Rut Is On!
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Several days ago a friend that has 40 acres took a very nice 3x3. He called me to say there were several more bucks chasing does in the area of a spring on his place and I could come over to try my luck.

So, this morning started out crisp at 21f with clear skies and light easterly breeze. As the bucks were moving between 2pm & 4pm, I held off going over to his place until 1pm. Taking my early Virginia flinter .54, "Belle" along for the hunt, I headed down to what we call the "swamp".

This is a heavy wooded area timbered with quakies, a mix of willow and alder thickets. After rattling a couple of times, I spotted a doe and right behind was a fork horn, but he was moving away from the doe. A few seconds later the reason for his movement came into view, a heavy bodied 4x4! He was wily and would not offer a clear shot in the thickets. Finally he wandered farther off into swamp. I continued to hunt around the thickets until I could see the fields adjacent to my friends' land. There were half a dozen does, no bucks. After rattling a few more times, I was feeling a little chilled, so headed to the house for a cup of tea and to let the deer settle down.

Around 3pm I headed out again, rattled a few times, and then around 3:30pm saw movement just inside of the thickets. Two does were moving and looking back, three more deer could be seen moving but obscured by the thickets. Soon, a fork horn appeared, then a 3x3, both being pushed by the 4x4. I had wanted to try for the 4x4 but he was just to smart to offer a shot, so I raised Belle, thumbed back the cock, took a fine sight at 70 yards and fired.

As the smoke cleared the 3x3 spun away and dropped in place, shot through the front of the lungs.

When my friend heard the shot he fired up his atv with trailer and headed my way. By the time he arrived I had the white tail gutted and ready to drag to the trailer parked about 75 feet away. We hung the deer on his scale and it weighed just a little over 150 pounds. After hanging the buck and skinning it, we left it to cool down.

Ol' Belle got a good scrubbing, oiled and put away for another year as we can only harvest one deer here in Montana on a general season tag.

It was a fine day in the woods!!!

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you had a great day. Congratulations!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Lots of deer around here have started to travel and look for does,weather is the only hold up for us mortals,I live in one of the extended Muzzle Loader areas(17) 9-14 Dec and State wide,02 Dec--07 Dec ,will see how it goes,Firearms season 04 Nov--30 Nov

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Walking Crow,

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post