MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Hunting    Excellent practice session with .45cal hunting loads today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Excellent practice session with .45cal hunting loads today
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted
Almost like a fall morning at first light today...66*, cloudy, 7-8mph wind from the cool front that pushed in overnight, actually chilly at first in shorts & T-shirt. And maybe the weather helped because it was one of those days where no matter what I did, the balls just always seemed to find their way into the bulls-eye. Shot everything from a seated hunting position leaning back against a post like it was a tree trunk, and thirty .440"/128grn lead balls just obliterated a 3" hot-pink aim point sticker at 50yds. Hope to christen this Early Virginia in November...plenty of time to scout up some deer with 3" pink stickers behind their elbows.

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good day. I get this vacation over with I'm going to start on my 32 cal it's time to get started for fall season.....Smiler

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Wow, 66 degrees. So far this summer we've been lucky to get those temps at night. We're really getting anxious, here, for the season to begin. My .50 TVM early Lancaster needs to be christened on a big Va deer this fall. Believe I'll start with squirrels when it starts to cool off a bit around Oct. The little .36 SMR, also from TVM, will do the honors for bushytails.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
It was 59* at 5:30 this morning...a big cool front pushing down in from the NW...you should be getting it too.
Our whole 7-day forecast for NC is supposed to be like this...60's at night, 80's days...no 90s / 100s...and it's July !!
I used my .40cal on a few squirrels the past couple seasons and my 20ga EVA is getting jealous so I suspect I'll take it out for some squirrels this year

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Yep, it started today...dry, sunny day around 80. Beautiful.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post