New
Find
Notify
Tools

Squirrel season
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Our season opens September 11th. Woohoo!

God bless America and Alba Gu Brath!

Posts: 569 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I go after squirrels with either a .32 or .40 rife. I also like to hunt them with a .62 smoothy flintlock.

How about the rest of you?

DanL

Posts: 569 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Squirrels opened here in Tenasi on Aug. 28. Doves and Canada geese on Sept. 1
However, things have been so hectic here at home that I haven't been able to get after them.

Daughter and husband moved from Michigan down here, but ran into some paperwork problems with getting their new house. Two big U-haul trucks sitting in my driveway, plus their personal vehicles have stalled some of my outdoor projects because they are in the way.

They finally had closing yesterday. Today is moving day. Hooray!

I have told my wife that at least two days of next week are mine! I'm going huntin'.

But, I still have a pile of outside projects and inside honey-do's to work on. I'm going to be busy all winter.

I once thought that retirement meant that life would be easy. HA!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I hope you have/make some time to go hunting or at least get into the woods. It sounds like you need a break from your retirement.

I have retired twice and am working a new career 45 - 50 hours a week. However the new position allows me to work the hours I wish within reason. I choose to come in very early and leave at 5 each day with freedom during the day to do things that I like to do. Leaving at 5 gives time to work on the Honey-do list (or my stuff) in the evenings. I work M-Friday noon. This gives me a 2.5 day weekend. I am sufficiently worn out by then doing my weekend playing to return to work to rest up for the next weekend Big Grin.

My current position is office/computer work with the ability to work wherever I can be "connected". So I can choose to be at home or anywhere else I can be connected. Sometimes I even answer questions in the squirrel woods or the deer stand via my phone when I do not want to be in the office. This is not a 'have to' but a 'choose to' situation which allows me more freedom.

Believe me, In my previous careers, I did not have such freedom and life was tough sometimes.

Rancocas, I hope your family settles in and allows you some play time. We all want to do what we can for the family but they have to understand that you/we need some play time also.

Play time for me involves; squirrel, deer, turkey, or any other hunting/fishing/shooting/property management-manipulation related recreation.

I plan to view any and all sunrises and sunsets that I can (preferably from a natural viewpoint) before my time is up. Cool

Living/working to play, DanL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DanL,

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I grew up hunting squirrels and other small game before evolving into a deer hunter. But I'm not likely to hunt them anymore; too much trouble to dress, cut up and cook. Not sure about deer but I haven't even hunted them in a few years. Turkey might get my attention as long as it doesn't inconvenience me. But snowshoe hare, porky pines, coyotes and such might want to watch their back trail. It gets daylight in Maine early, and I do mean EARLY! And I will not get up at 3:30 or 4:00 just to drive 8 miles to only doze off again.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well folks....I cannot keep the squirrels out of the chestnut trees in my yard.

Like in that baseball movie, If you build it (Plant it) they will come.

The limb bacon ( To use old Fiddlesticks term) just keeps a coming. I may run out of bullets and powder Eeker Big Grin

Help, DanL

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
No better way to run out of ammo than just what you're doing!

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post