Find
Notify
Tools

SWAMP RABBIT
 Login/Join

Factor
posted
aka: NUTRIA.

I was watching Andew Zimmerman on Bizarre Foods, and he was eating Nutria, which is a large rodent, sorta like a beaver without the flat tail. It was a large 10 lb. animal and it wasn't musky or gamey. In Maryland they are open year round, and there is no limit, but there has been a push to try and erradicate the little South American monsters since 2005, and they aren't as plentiful.

I wish I'd a known they were that good tasting, as I'd a hunted them before now. Now I have to figure out where to find them...

Oh and when dressed for cooking, I intend to remove the rat-like tail, and tell folks it's a SWAMP RABBIT.. Big Grin

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
I know we have folks on our coast who hunt/eat them,but I've never tried them. Might be hard to choke one down,knowing what they are. LOL

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Down in Georgia Nutria comprised the main food for the Gator parks; open season season there, too. I didn't know they were up this far north so I'll keep that in mind.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
LD,

Saw the same episode. Big muskrat, and they are fine eaten'....pelts are even worth a couple bucks.....food and fur......Gary

" You do with your scalp as you wish and don't be telling us what to with ours."

Posts: 158 | Location: lake champlain, vt | Registered: 03 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Generally speaking, if you come down here and ask for marsh or swamp rabbit you'll get muskrat for dinner, not nutria. But we were the epicenter for nutes in the Mid-Atlantic here in Dochester county, but very few left now. Been a few years since I've even seen one. Something got into them about ten years ago and really dropped the numbers, then the Feds started trapping them out of Blackwater NWR and surrounding areas and they've almost got them all. Only ones left are in very hard to access places.

Never heard of anyone around here eating them much, although I've seen recipes and they cooked 'em a few times at the Outdoor Show when they used to be plentiful.

They really tore up the salt marshes around here, Blackwater was greatly and detrimentally impacted by them. Lost hundres, maybe thousands of acres of marshes from them eating and tearing it up.

I can remember 20 years ago hearing them everywhere while sika hunting, they were THICK. Even then they wanted them killed, there was no closed season and no limit. We would ride the public marshes in jonboats shooting them with .22 rifles. 50 round clips blazing! We'd push marshes and shoot them when they jumped up. Heck, we'd line up across a creek, set a patch of marsh afire and shoot them as they came running out. Those were fun days in February and March, we'd shoot a brick of .22LR's every day.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Nutria, the other white meat! haha

Posts: 69 | Registered: 12 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I never see Zimmerman eating scrapple,hot dogs,bologna,sausage in natural casing (washed out guts)raw oysters,Rocky Mountain Oysters....
My Uncle was a trapper,if you wanted to know what was on the menue,go through the skinning shed and look over the stretchers.Best to just dont ask and eat.
Ive eaten frog legs,not bad,Nutras could be good,compared to say possum.Nutras eat the same foods as a muskrat don't they?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Walking Crow,

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post